Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1bluesky Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2014, 06:33 PM
    Landlady
    Do I have to let my landlady in my apartment for purpose of bringing in a potential new tenants to look at it? I gave her a notice and moving out on Oct 1. Couple of days ago, She asked me to bring someone to look at it, and I said yes, even though the rooms were untidy. Now she informed me that the potential tenants was not happy with the untidiness of the apartment, and because of that did not rent it. She asked me if I am going to clean the apartment for her renting purpose. I do not want to clean my rooms by request of anyone. What do I do? Do I have to let her in for the purpose of inspecting it even beforethe end of my tenancy term?

Here is the mail she sent to me:
    The showing with the lady didn't go well. She was very offended that I had the nerves to show her a place that was so untidy.

I know that I didn't give you enough notice and I should have been more organised.

I have had several messages from people who want to see the place but I can't show it in his present condition.
    Can you please do some cleaning?

What do you think?

Thank you,
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 6, 2014, 06:38 PM
    Technically, your mess should not sway a potential renter (since you will take your mess with you when you leave). Of course, if things are broken or walls stained or other indications you haven't cared about keeping the apartment clean, your landlord has a right to be unhappy.

Once we had given notice, though, the landlord could show our apartment. He did give us some notice,and we did try to make the place decent looking. After all, he wanted a new renter and not lose money.

Is there something in your lease agreement about her showing the apartment once you have given notice that you're moving out?

Sep 6, 2014, 06:53 PM
    Thanks.
    Nothing is broken. Just untidy. Not to be scared of either, as I do not behave like a pig. It's just not clean. That's it. Which she knew before I let her know. Now after all this (in her mail she said that the potential tenant was very offended that my apartment looked so untidy) I smell a mind game. No one should be offended by untidiness. I did not let my intimate things at sight. Everything is normal in y rooms, just not perfectly clean. So, another thing: the potential tenant would rent the place and not my mess. So, it is understood that the place will be professionally cleaned, before she moves in.

I am not going to do special cleaning just for the sake of showing the place to other tenants. I do not have money to pay for it plus how do I know what's the level of cleanliness she is looking for? As the landlady said that it would take 2 days to do all cleanings? That's beyond a reasonable estimate. The place is not that bad, and is very small too, one level one bedroom apartment.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2014, 07:02 PM
    I wouldn't do special cleaning on her account... not until its time to hand over the keys. YOU might HAVE to let her in to show the apartment... but I bet there is NOTHING written in the lease that says you have to have it in OPEN HOUSE clean condition for their benefit before you vacate. I mean don't hang dirty undies everyplace....but then....are we talking Health department condemnation warning dirty...or just a few days to a week of mess dirty?

THings are going to get pretty chaotic while you are packing. ANd you can't realistically keep everythign super clean in the process. Speaking as someone that's moved more than a few times myself. Though I never had to let anyone in to show the unit before.

Sep 6, 2014, 07:04 PM
    Is there something in your lease agreement about her showing the apartment once you have given notice that you're moving out?

No there is not.
    I thought I was dping her a favour by allowing her to show the apartment to potential tenants. Now, after her letter I am not in that mood anymore. I do keep pllace reasonably clean... yet I am not willing to clean I by the request of anyone. Except final cleaning of course.

Sep 6, 2014, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I wouldn't do special cleaning on her account... not until its time to hand over the keys. YOU might HAVE to let her in to show the apartment... but I bet there is NOTHING written in the lease that says you have to have it in OPEN HOUSE clean condition for their benefit before you vacate. I mean don't hang dirty undies everyplace....but then....are we talking Health department condemnation warning dirty...or just a few days to a week of mess dirty?

THings are going to get pretty chaotic while you are packing. ANd you can't realistically keep everythign super clean in the process. Speaking as someone that's moved more than a few times myself. Though I never had to let anyone in to show the unit before.
    Right. That's what I thought too. But now since she mentioned that the untidiness made the other party OFFENDED, and that it would take TWO DAYS to restore the original state, I smell a mind games coming from my landlady, since neither of the two she mentioned is the truth.

If that party was offended then she is not good tenant to be. She turned out to be the inspector of my tidiness? I have a feeling that it is all invention by my landaly! She probably tries to force me to keep it clean, or to preparing to retain a portion of my downpayments? Whatever is the case, I do not like it.

I live here for 7 months and never had any issue before. Though I have a feeling that I let my landlady too many time to enter my apartment (for whatever excuses she had: fixing the plumbing work that is in other part of the house where I do no not access, or fuses are out... sometimes on dayly base?? Etc).
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2014, 07:26 PM
    Most leases are for a year... but you've only been there for 7 months? How long was your lease for? IF it was for a year... as long as she has it listed and made some effort to rent it out... they could legally hold you liable for the rest of the lease (or until they do find a new tenant which ever comes first). Giving notice doesn't get you off the hook for future rent for the full period of the lease if they can show an attempt to rent it out but aren't successful..

Sep 6, 2014, 07:35 PM
    Most leases are for a year... but you've only been there for 7 months? How long was your lease for? IF it was for a year... as long as she has it listed and made some effort to rent it out... they could legally hold you liable for the rest of the lease (or until they do find a new tenant which ever comes first). Giving notice doesn't get you off the hook for future rent for the full period of the lease if they can show an attempt to rent it out but aren't successful..
    It's not the lease. It is on month to month base. Like I said everything was OK so far. No issues except that landlady asked (and I did let her in) to enter my apartment too often.

Now, since she said 2 completely unreasonable things (a third party being VERY OFFNDED by the untidiness of my place, and that it takes 2 days to fix it) makes me wonder about anything with that lady. The place was not unhealthy untidy! Plus it does not makes sense someone else being VERY OFFENDED by the state of my own mess?! It is a pure invention of hers. So, now as I cannot trust her anymore, I want to know DO I HAVE TO LET HER IN FOR THE PURPOSE OF RENTING IT??

I am not willing to let anyone (except for emergency purpose, of course) in my apartment before I move out. I am not going to clean my place by request of anyone. I want to have "quiet enjoying". I am not into mind games, and my landlady knows ALL TRICKS as she is renting this place for a long time, and there are currently 6 people in the house, all renters, and she NEVER ISSUED ANY RECEIPTS to the payment I made for the rent!

I have all doubts that she is not paying tax on the income of it. As if the owner of the place is her son, who is living in Jamaica somewhere? This house gemerates over $4000/mo and no income tax to pay. This is not my business, I just mentioned this as to add to the picture I am surrounded.

thanks for the help.

Sep 6, 2014, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluesky View Post
    thanks for the help.
    Can I call Revenue Canada and check if she pays income tax on the rent? I am not saying I am going to do it, but, if she is a stink, then I might exercise that option. Why not.

Sep 6, 2014, 07:56 PM
    The question I have is: what is the best for me to answer to my landlady? She sked me to clean my place for the sake of showing it to some ppotential renters. That means: to clean it at my own expense. Well, I do not feel like doing it. If she is going to pay, I have no problem allowing her to do it. But I doubt it she will.

So, what is the best answer of mine to her request, yet to stick to my decision?
    thank you.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2014, 08:09 PM
    Its all about what is written into the lease agreement. Even on a month to month, you almost always sign one.

You mentioned Canda... what province in Canada, laws can vary, for Example I 'm in the USA.

Sep 6, 2014, 08:48 PM
    Its all about what is written into the lease agreement. Even on a month to month, you almost always sign one.

You mentioned Canda... what province in Canada, laws can vary, for Example I 'm in the USA.
    BC. It is not written that I have to clean or let my landlady in for the sake of renting the apartment to a new party. Nothing special there. I just feel that after this I do not have quiet enjoying of the rooms I rent for.

I really do not care who my landlord is, all I like to learn is how to protect myself without being hurt. In term of if she holds my entire damage deposit. In her last message she showed how unreasonable she was. This means: she will have no sound judgment of the condition of the dwellings once I hand out the keys.

I thought I did her a favour when allowed her to bring anyone in my apartment for whatever purpose. Now the favour turned out to be firing back at me_??! You understand what I am saying? I am instantly sick of it, and I want this to stop NOW. SOrry, I did not mean to shout, just to express how it feels when I made a mistake. And now knowing that a woman is an experienced renter and she knows all tricks, I am kind of worrisome about myself. Hoping you understand my fears. That's why I put it here. I live alone, new to town, I am not going to talk about this to my colleagues at work, of course.

Again:
    FACTS: there is no damage to the dwellings, and my stuff is not sick dirty or messy.
    I DO NOT WANT to be forced or otherwise pushed to keep my rooms in order that anyone else likes.

My question is:

1. DO I HAVE TO LET LANDLADY IN MY APARTMENT for the renting purpose?

2. What should be the best answer of mine to her on her inquiry?

Thank you.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2014, 09:15 PM
    What part of Canada do you live. Laws vary and a location can allow us to find the specifics.

Sep 6, 2014, 09:24 PM
    British Columbia.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2014, 12:54 AM
    You do not have to do, any special cleaning, although it will have to be cleaned prior to moving out of course.

Yes, you have to allow her to show the apartment as long as she gives notice

Sep 7, 2014, 02:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

Yes, you have to allow her to show the apartment as long as she gives notice
    Where did you get this one from? Tenancy Act of BC?
    This one contravenes with the "quiet enjoyment" rights. If I have to let her in on a dayly base for a month, then that's invading my own privacy and ruins my normal life. Doesn't make sense.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 7, 2014, 02:12 AM
    Much of this is simply common sense. Many people will refuse to rent a place that is "untidy" when shown.

Over my many years of moving across the country (US), I would never rent from a landlord who showed me a dirty apartment.

1. DO I HAVE TO LET LANDLADY IN MY APARTMENT for the renting purpose?
    What does your lease say?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2014, 05:09 AM
    You do have to let her in with proper notice, generally 24 hours. Quiet enjoyment refers to unannounced interruptions.

As for the untidiness, tell her that you are packing so some level of untidiness is going to be in evidence. Any prospective tenant is going to expect that.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 7, 2014, 05:34 AM
    If the landlady gives reasonable notice regarding showing the house to potential tenants, OP should oblige. I would not hire someone to get it "professionally cleaned", but wash the dishes, sweep the floors or vacuum, pick up the dirty clothes from the floor, make the bed, etc. Even that is not legally required, but it's a matter of common sense. And if advance notice is not given (generally 24 hours), simply say "no".

I am amused when someone complains about being "offended"; we are not legally prohibited from offending other people, particularly strangers. :)

I think your landlady was actually asking for your help and not demanding it:

"I know that I didn't give you enough notice and I should have been more organised.

I have had several messages from people who want to see the place but I can't show it in his present condition.
    Can you please do some cleaning?

What do you think? "

You might try to work with her as follows: offer to allow a paid cleaning service in, just before the place is to be shown, to clean it at her expense.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2014, 06:39 AM
    I agree with AK that the landlady seems to be pretty reasonable. You have to understand that if she cant get a new tenant to move in when you vacate she will lose income.

I also find it very petty of you to think of reporting her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Landlady. Weird situation [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I have been renting a room from my landlady for a year now. There are a 50- year old married couple , my daughter and landly-all living in the same house but different rooms. (I like the house,it's clean and neat-we all clean people and is very tidy everywhere. The kitchen is huge and...

Roommate moved out early & landlady wants to hold onto Security Deposit [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, This may come across as somewhat complicated. A month and a half ago (Oct. 1), I came home to discover that my now ex roommate moved all of her things out. No notice was given to me by her at all. She paid the October rent, however she considered her November rent should come out...

Unfair Landlady? [ 1 Answers ]

I have rented a suite in a private townhome from an older woman who lives in the bottom level for 2 years and 3 months. She recently informed me that she decided to hire a maid to clean the common areas - kitchen, dining and living rooms. However, I am not permitted to use the living room or dining...

Dealing with landlady [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a question referring to my landlady. She requires a 60 day notice to move out, I gave her a 48 day notice because I wanted to find a house first. She wants to conduct an open house while we are still living in the house. Even though I am pd up through february06. Does she...

View more questions Search