Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2014, 08:00 AM
    Deteriorating Brick foundation walls.
    Hi, I have a basement walls that are deteriorating below ground level. Is there anything that will arrest the problem? The mortar is sand/lime I believe since the house is over 100 years old. Thanks
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2014, 08:12 AM
    Probably means there is no dampcourse. You will have to remove the soil from around the walls and inspect and repoint the motar
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 6, 2014, 08:28 AM
    How to Fix a Deteriorating Brick Foundation | eHow

Or call a builder or contractor.

Sep 6, 2014, 08:51 AM
    Thanks but do you know of anything that will arrest it right now? Would a water seal freeze it in place right now? Thanks
    Expert

Sep 6, 2014, 09:55 AM
    The real question is HOW LONG this will work? For the costs of a quick temporary fix, you may be doing it many times until the root cause is finally solved. It adds up, and no one can really say how long a temporary fix will work. The biggest factor is the extent and the root causes of the damages. I highly recommend that there has to be an evaluation and estimate of costs to make an accurate decision. I mean 2/300 bucks that only lasts a month is a waste. Especially if interior damage is more prevalent to the outside walls.

Cost of Repairing and Sealing a Basement - Estimates and Prices Paid

The first step in waterproofing a basement is to improve your home's drainage, so water flows away from your foundation and downspouts don't deposit water right next to your home. But if better drainage doesn't solve your basement water or moisture situation, you may then want to repair and seal problem areas in your basement.
    I can tell you that any interior sealing of basements walls will barely make it to the next big storm or weather event. It's what you can't see that will get you.

Sep 7, 2014, 04:41 AM
    Thanks, but the house is in a city and only have about 1 foot between the houses on one side and three on the other between houses.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2014, 05:40 AM
    I think that finding the root cause, and scope of your problem, would help you address that problem more effectively. At least identifying what would be the appropriate sealant to use for what you have. Don't assume, verify.

Sealing and repairing
    are two very different processes, so knowing which applies best must be determined.

My apologizes for not clarifying that earlier.

Sep 7, 2014, 08:28 AM
    Thanks but I think I want to arrest the deterioration and then repoint the inside. I will have to have someone look at it.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2014, 08:46 AM
    That's a wise course of action. Please keep us updated on what you find, and end up doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Using type o morter for brick foundation in an old house [ 2 Answers ]

Where can we purchase type O morter mix so my husband and I can repair the brick foundation (ourselves) in our 1880 victorian house? Thank you.

To set up a brick and concrete foundation [ 1 Answers ]

To set up a brick wall which may have 21cm width and 6or cm height, what size or depth should have the concrete foundation for such size wall?

Patching deteriorating brick [ 4 Answers ]

The brick in the foundation of my house has several spots where it is falling apart and leaking. I'm looking to patch the holes - the visual aesthetics are less important than building health. The yard slopes towards the house and I believe the continual presence of water is what caused the...

Mortar in brick foundation [ 3 Answers ]

There are several bricks in my foundation where the mortar has turned to powder and washed away. Is a professional required to fix this, or is this a job I can tackle myself? Thank you.

Brick Walls [ 1 Answers ]

HELLO, I recently bought home that has brick foundation what type of mortar can I used so it could look good. Thank you

View more questions Search