Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SouthernPoint Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2014, 08:50 PM
    Phosphatidylethanol (PEth)
    I really need some help and guidance with this test. I honestly 100% do not drink alcohol. But yet, some how my test came up positive at 25 ng/mg. My career is in jeopardy over this. I drink a product called Almased 1-2 times daily. Can anyone help me figure out if this is what caused my PEth to be positive? I have a message out to the company, but I am scared I am going to loose my career over this.

Someone, Anyone.
    Thank You for reading
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 07:14 AM
    There is nothing in the Almased that should cause a positive, but there are other ways for Alcohol to get into your system. Look at your hair spray, alcohol based anti-bacterial hand sanitizers, mouthwashes, and other products you use. Alcohol is a common ingredient in post of them. It is important for you to realize the possible sources and avoid them.

Sep 8, 2014, 10:26 AM
    Thank you for your reply. My husband and myself have flipped our house upside down basically. I don't know where it's coming from or why. All I know is no matter what I say or do. No one is going to believe me.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 11:05 AM
    How about foods? There is a good chance that the alcohol from a wine sauce or desert might not have worn off. Google hidden alcohol in foods or products and see what comes up. A lot of the time it isn't label as alcohol but as something else.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2014, 12:42 PM
    Why the test? The company restricts your alcohol use? Who did the test? On parole or probation?

Sep 8, 2014, 06:07 PM
    CravenMorhead,
    I honestly don't think it's from foods. I honestly am clueless at this point.

ma0641,
    I am in a state monitoring program for nurses. While in this program you have to remain free of any and all mind altering substances. Which I do and have since being in this program. I have almost completed this program 6 months to go and now this happens. Well, I have low creatintine and the new MRO ordered this PEth test. The test went through Labcorp and it took 2 weeks to get the result back and when it came back it was positive. I just did a hair test on Thursday and those results are still pending. But it won't matter if that test comes back clean. When you are dealing with the state you are guilty no matter what.

Thanks for everyone who has read and replied.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 9, 2014, 08:17 AM
    It could also be a product they use. I would contest the result if you can. The low creatine levels could have been what damned you. A lot of urine tests test for a substance but also use normal biological markers in the urine to see if the person is trying to cheat the test. If they test solely the amount in the urine then all a person would need to do is drink a LOT of water and that would dilute the urine. This would have a lower concentration and they would pass the test. The sneaky testers then realized that there were certain chemicals that were pretty common in the urine and usually in known amounts. So if these values were REALLY low than the person drank a lot of water to hide their substance abuse from the tests. That is a fail by dilution. There are two ways they can deal with that, just write down a fail by dilution or they can try to scale the values based on the dilution and what the expect levels should be. The only value is to see if, once scaled, the values were significantly above the test values.

So if you have low creatine levels then that is why you probably failed not the amount of alcohol in your system.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 9, 2014, 09:30 AM
    Relax, It may be standard procedure to review and re-check applicants with certain results. Your low creatine levels are what triggered a positive (dilution?), so a further test to confirm was ordered. Or you are required to do a battery of tests. (a physician would use a blood test and other factors like your diet to evaluate kidney functions to get your normal creatine range for YOU)

Hair follicle test are for recent/habitual drugs use and you should be fine if you haven't used drugs.

Don't panic or it will drive you NUTS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pethstat alcohol biomarker phosphatidylethanol [ 1 Answers ]

While being monitored by a professionals health program in 2011 I was found to have a phosphatidylethanol level of 365 and reported to the medical board and asked to have an evaluation. Because the level was astronomically high I suspected error or subterfuge and requested a copy of the lab...

Reliability of Phosphatidylethanol Test [ 1 Answers ]

I had a Peth test level of 29, after having 3 drinks 3 weeks prior to the test. No other alcohol than that. How could that happen?

Peth test [ 1 Answers ]

I drank approx 21/2 light beers 2 Saturdays ago and approx 4 last Saturday, before that no alcohol for weeks, will a peth test this Friday show positive?

Peth test [ 0 Answers ]

Explain a peth test

Positive PEth [ 0 Answers ]

I have a positive PEth test after drinking 15 beers in a three day period 14 days prior to test. I fell off the wagon, after long sobriety. I thought two weeks would be okay, why would it be positive?

View more questions Search