Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Awesomeness616 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2014, 05:45 PM
    I want a pet bird that looks like an owl
    I really like owls and they are my 3rd favorite type of bird and I want to get a pet owl. But you need to become a falconer and they are very hard to take care of. So I was wondering if there are any birds that look like owls and can be kept as pets but not in the owls species. I live in Sterling Heights Michigan and I want to know if there are any local places that I could get a bird that looks like an owl.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 06:10 PM
    Sorry, but only owls look like owls. There are no other breed of bird that comes close to that look.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 5, 2014, 06:14 PM
    Not that I can think of. Not really fair to most birds to think you can just put them in a cage and make them pets.
    If you really like owls, learn all about them and get binoculars and go on bird hikes.
    Where I live, I can hear owls at night (when the coyotes aren't howling). The don't say WHO, WHO, but noises I can't quite duplicate in word.
    I like wild animals left wild.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 06:20 PM
    Read the non-fiction book Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien. She too states having an owl as a pet is not recommended and is probably illegal in most places. Yes, watch owls (and other birds) in the wild. Go to the public library and read up on them.
    Pets Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 06:23 PM
    I feel the same way Joy.

I do have two pet birds, a female and male cockatiel. They're not native to where I live, and are domesticated birds.

I've hand raised a few wild birds that were injured and needed care, not one survived. My Uncle has rescued many wild birds that were injured (broken leg, broken wing, etc) and all of them survived. Once they were well enough to be released back into the wild, they were. He doesn't believe in keeping wild animals as pets.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 07:06 PM
    I am going to start by saying that you are twelve so any thoughts of getting a pet of any type need parental approval among other factors.

Are your parent(s) okay with getting a bird of any type? If it comes down to the age old "You can have one s long as you take care of it", you need to think about how long the bird's lifespan is and what happens when you are old enough to leave home. If you plan on going to college, what would happen to the bird? Will you have enough time to take care of one properly with school and other activities?

If you are interested in birds, talk to your parents about looking into birding clubs and rehabilitation centers in your area. They might be willing to teach you about the birds in exchange for volunteer work. But be ready to prove to them and your parents that you can handle school and volunteering. It will take a lot of work to keep up your grades, volunteer, and handle anything else that comes up. If you start slacking or getting bad grades, any agreements may be ended.

Sep 26, 2014, 02:32 PM
    Can u have a scops owl as a pet
    Owls are my 3rd favorite animal and I have heard that they are illegal as pets. I know that scops owls are small so I was wondering if they can be kept. I have looked on some websites and people say that they own them and teach them to hunt. So I just want to know if they can be kept as pets.

Sep 26, 2014, 02:36 PM
    I am 12 but my dad takes care of birds and is great at it. We both feed them and we built a wooden play area for them and he is okay with getting more birds. He is getting one more soon so I am just wondering if there are any birds that look similar
    Pets Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness616 View Post
    I am 12 but my dad takes care of birds and is great at it. We both feed them and we built a wooden play area for them and he is okay with getting more birds. He is getting one more soon so I am just wondering if there are any birds that look similar
    As has already been stated, no, there are no birds other than owls, that look like owls.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 03:05 PM
    Owls aren't birds that do well in cages. They're messy and they defecate whenever they choose to, wherever they happpen to fly or roost. Their droppings and feathers must be constantly cleaned up. Their temperament is not warm and friendly, plus they often become aggessive. Owls prefer live, fresh meat and insects. Owls are not good pets.

Sep 26, 2014, 03:09 PM
    Ok can people stop saying that owls are bad pets. That's just your opinion. I like owls and me and my dad have taken care of at least 7 birds. 2 wer sold cause we didn't have enough room in the house. We gave 2 to my cousin cause she wanted a pet bird. I just want to know if they are allowed to be kept as pets or if there are any birds that look like them
    Marriage Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 03:16 PM
    Owls are my 3rd favorite animal and I have heard that they are illegal as pets. I know that scops owls are small so I was wondering if they can be kept. I have looked on some websites and people say that they own them and teach them to hunt. So I just want to know if they can be kept as pets.
    To keep everything together, your threads were merged.

Owls are not pets.

Your father may keep birds and be interested in adding to the collection, but have you asked him about keeping an owl?
    Pets Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 03:26 PM
    Ok can people stop saying that owls are bad pets. That's just your opinion. I like owls and me and my dad have taken care of at least 7 birds. 2 wer sold cause we didn't have enough room in the house. We gave 2 to my cousin cause she wanted a pet bird. I just want to know if they are allowed to be kept as pets or if there are any birds that look like them
    Sigh.

No, it's against the law to own an owl, and for the third and final time, no, there are no other birds that look like owls.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 03:33 PM
    Whether owls make good pets is not the question. It is illegal to own an owl.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Ok can people stop saying that owls are bad pets. That's just your opinion.
    No, it's not. I've read books about keeping owls as pets and have researched it. Owls make lousy pets. Owls are wild creatures that belong in the wild. They need to fly free.
    I just want to know if they are allowed to be kept as pets or if there are any birds that look like them
    They're usually not allowed to be kept as pets. Did I happen to mention they are wild creatures, so it's illegal to keep wild and exotic pets in your house or away from freedom. If laws allow it anywhere, the permit to do so is very expensive. And no, there are no birds that look like owls. Buy an owl stuffed animal or an owl mug.
    Marriage Expert

I found a site that perhaps you should read: Owls as Pets

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help me a film about a boy who turns into a bird/owl (UK?) [ 0 Answers ]

Can you help me It's a film about a boy and a girl and their grandad can turn into a bird/owl and he has A dream about it and there's a evil tornado guy and they run away from him in a truck and then it turns out he can turn into a bird everyone can and he finds this place where there's grass...

Creepy film evil boy on farm turns into a bird or sees through eyes of a bird [ 4 Answers ]

What I remember of the film An old big (tall) wooden? Farmhouse. Located I think in the USA. The family had European connections. The boy was bad or evil or misunderstood (not sure) He could either turn into or see through the eyes of a flying bird. This is something I think that was passed...

Are keeping bird as a pet forbidden in islam? [ 1 Answers ]

Assalamualikum... I am from india want to ask you a question... Are keeping bird as pet forbidden in islam I am having 6 birds 3 finches and 3 budgerigars as pet I take good care of them I give them food and water on time save them from hot and cold weather and having a big enough cage for...

Bird Training & Bird toys business. How to start? [ 3 Answers ]

I used to work at an Animal Hospital for 3 Years, and I got into bird training. I got really well at it and I love it! I've trained my bird to wave, fetch, and do a lot of other complex tricks. I've also helped my friend with her Bird's behavioral problems. I really want to do this more, but I'm...

New budgie pet bird [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am going to get a pet budgie in a couple of days and I was wondering how I can tame him... I have searched the internet many times and still no answer that I need that goes with taming or breeding a budgie, help me:eek:

View more questions Search