Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericjw20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2014, 01:56 PM
    I have 2 domestic misdemeanors from 2001,2005 coercion charge in 2006 dui in 2011
    I have 2 domestic violence convictions and 1 coercion charge for knocking a phone out of my exes hand while she was on the phone with 911. These occurred in 2001, 2004 and 2007. Then I got a dui in 2011 and failure to operate with due care in 2012. I currently work in security but need to get another job. How do I do that with these on my record. It is really hard to find a job let alone a good paying job. Help me please. The domestic and coercion charges were all with the same woman and after I left her I was doing fine. The recent drinking charges were stupidity on my part living single in Las Vegas. I need help. What do I put on my applications or spin it positively so I can provide for my daughter
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 02:05 PM
    How the beck are you working in security with those charges on your record?? Help you ! I would put you behind bars if I could do it. If you were in Ontario, you would have been there a long time ago.

You cant really care too much for your daughter if you keep on compromising yourself.

You cant get a positive background check with this; so why worry about what you put on your application ?

Not an answer, god knows, just a judgment on my part, but you don't seem to be able to do anything for yourself, do you ?

Do you have sole custody of your daughter, you don't say ? I hope your ex has her and you are just wondering about child support.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 02:05 PM
    There are plenty of jobs that don't require a background check. Whether they're high paying is another question. Have you talked to someone about getting some of the charges purged? As well I know there are differening levels of security jobs. From Rent a Cops to personal security agents. Have you tried branching out with your current employer or looking at different security firms? The early charges can be explain as being young and dumb, the hard ones to explain and the ones that will hurt the most are the vehicular ones. A DUI and Dangerous Driving are huge liabilities.

Good luck.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 03:24 PM
    I would suggest you attend classes on anger management and alcohol counseling. Then you may be able to show a prospective employer you are taking care of business by changing bad habits and actions. I am not saying people will accept that but it will help change you as a person and that may give you insight into prospective jobs.

Speaking as a survivor of domestic violence you will also be helping your daughter as she will see that you don't agree with domestic violence and want to change.

Just my 2 cents
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 6, 2014, 06:10 AM
    Are you in AA? Are you going every day?

Jobs are hard enough to get for anyone. Be glad you have one! You don't even mention any skills or education or training courses, good grief, now you want a 'better' job?

Tesla is going to be hiring around 6500 people for their battery factory near Reno. Find out what kinds of workers will be needed for construction. It's still in the planning stages. Don't contact Tesla; just start asking around and looking online. Plenty of time to show that you have been sober more years. And maybe take a course in something! Try a tech school, something with a 1 year program.
    rainacidbeer Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Sep 6, 2014, 10:13 PM
    Look in to learning a trade ,those are bad charges but if none are a felony then it helps. Their really no way to spin it,just say your learning from your mistakes. Your lucky they didn't revoke your security license. Take any job and try to work your way up the ladder.

If your good at sales,with the right place you can make good $ . If you don't have a felony maybe you can get your cdl or drive a limo or a town car. I know some people working for a car service who are making a decent amount but the hours are long.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2014, 12:50 AM
    The domestic violence will keep you from working in many fields, and there is not much you can do about it.

Perhaps going back to school for a start in a new career.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jan 5, 2011 I got my first DUI. [ 6 Answers ]

Jan 5, 2011 I got my first DUI. Supposedly I downed a telephone pole. I am getting a lawyer. See, I had ARD for a different offense, years ago. I am so worried, I won't be able to move to base when he comes home. What is most likely going to happen?

Is it a felony in 2005 for a 3rd dui [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Florida,the year 2005 was it a felony if you were convicted of a 3rd dui

OPT-H1B, social security tax, medicare tax, undergrad (2001-2005), grad (2005-2007) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Could someone please advice my situation: I came to US under F1 visa to pursue undergrad from Fall 2001 - Spring 2005, then continue on grad school, under F1 again, from Fall 2005-Winter 2007. I begin my first job under OPT from January 2008 - October 2008, and continue the same job...

I did not file 2006 and 2005 [ 5 Answers ]

I am a single father raising my 12 yr old daughter and did not file in the years 2005 or 2006. I was just too busy going through the divorce and since it was lengthy I did not file. Can I still file and what forms can I use. I used the 1040ez for 2008 and got a $6,000 return.

Removeing 2 misdemeanors from record Alabama in 2001. [ 1 Answers ]

I pled guilty to 2 misdemeanors in Alabama in 2001. How do I get them removed from my record?

View more questions Search