Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2014, 06:07 PM
    Listing employment
    After being out of work for 2 years, you get a part time job. Just before you hit 2 months, you get an offer for a full time higher rate position from a firm you interviewed with before starting the part time job. So you give notice to the part time firm. After a month the new job lets you go.

Do you list those last 2 positions or go back to your old resume? My advice is to go back. If you list the part time job, mostly to use them as a reference, it can backfire because they might mention you left for another job. And you really don't want to list the last job because they said the reason to let you go was lower productivity. So extending the time being out of work seems to be less negative.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Sep 4, 2014, 06:40 PM
    You can list them, they can not say anything other than that you worked there and that's it, if they say anything else they open themselves up to a lawsuit
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 4, 2014, 07:11 PM
    That's not true. They are allowed to talk about job performance and why an employee no longer works there...as long as it is factual.

If it was me, I would just leave the newer ones off the resume and extend the time out of work. Having the 2 other jobs on there for such a short period of time may not look good. They may take a look at that and just decide not to go any further because of it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 5, 2014, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosmaster1 View Post
    You can list them, they can not say anything other than that you worked there and that's it, if they say anything else they open themselves up to a lawsuit

Where did you get that idea? There is no law prohibiting an employer from discussing any employees' information as long as it is factual. It is true that many employers have a policy against doing anything more than verifying employment to avoid potential lawsuits. But as long as what they say is factual, they can say what they want.

That's why I am recommending leaving them off. After a 2 year gap a few more months is meaningless, but showing 2 short term stints will make it more difficult. I just wanted to get some other opinions.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2014, 05:08 AM
    Tough situation to be in... but I think you are right, after two years... 2 more months is insignificant as it wasn't a temp position which would explain a short stay.

I've actually filled in a gap using a relatives business where I did a few unofficial jobs for (I could always be a business partner if I wished)... that I KNOW they won't be calling to verify or anything else. Different continent, and 6 hour difference in time zones not to mention language barrier (my brother-in-law effectively speaks no english as I haven't heard him utter more than a word or two in english in the 26 years I've known him).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 05:21 AM
    Who puts failures on a resume? There are better ways to explain what you have been doing between jobs no matter how long. Like volunteering for a good cause and actually doing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employment Restrictions on Employment Authorization Card [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process AOS (I485) under Eb3 from India. My Priority date is Dec 2002. I have been working on a Federal Project as a contractor on my EAD. 2 days ago, they let me go for the reason that the project became high risk, and only US citizens and GC holders are only allowed. I am planning to...

Why would I need to pay self employment tax on employment settlement [ 1 Answers ]

My original question was regarding 1099 misc I can't find any informaiton regarding the rational of paying self employment tax on settlement when I was an employee of this company I found this documentation on a site regarding self employment. Also how can I determine what the award is replacing. ...

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

Listing prior employment on application [ 5 Answers ]

I am applying for a job that has come open that I've wanted for a long time. I want to make sure I complete the application as accurately as possible so that my chances of getting the job will be good. I have some questions about listing your previous employers. First of all, do I have to list...

View more questions Search