Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catmck2204 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2014, 08:22 AM
    Should my Alberta tenant pay for condensation damage in the bathroom?
    My Calgary, Alberta tenant did not use the bathroom exhaust fan as she did not wish to clean the vent and now the bathroom ceiling is black with mildew. Should she be made to pay for this. The condo had none of this when she rented it
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 4, 2014, 09:39 AM
    Perhaps, if you can find an expert to testify that, but for the failure to use the fan, the mold would not have occurred.

But I doubt that you will win this one, particularly if the lease didn't require the tenant to use the fan.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 4, 2014, 10:41 AM
    I doubt it too.
    Buy a long handled scrub brush/broom. Put 2 tee shirts over your head and then a plastic bag, with a cut out to see and breathe. Bleach twice, with plenty of ventilation. Don't use ANY other product at the same time. Don't waste your money on one of those ridiculous mold remediation companies.

Then hire an electrician to wire the fan to the light switch.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Sep 4, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Were you in a flood zone? If you were did you clean your condo according to how you are supposed to. So that you had no mold? I too live in Calgary and helped with the flood cleanup and do know there were specific things to be done.
    Some people did not and are just now seeing the side effects from not being through

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom condensation [ 3 Answers ]

I just remodeled a bathroom. After the shower was used I noticed water driping down the walls. I installed a ceiling vent fan with the 4" vent tube leading out the soffit. Now water condesation is dripping from the ceiling. The problem became worse. What can I do to fix the problem.

Can the hot water from a Honeywell 509 Humidifier damage a condensation pump [ 1 Answers ]

The whole house Honeywell 509 Humidifier was installed and the drain run to the AC condensation pump. After a few cycles the pump no longer works. The water from the Humidifier is extremely hot. Could it have damaged the pump?

Condensation damage to coils: repair or replace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old Ruud Silhouette system (dual zone). Ruud model number: UGDJ-07AEUR. I had been running a do-it-yourself-installed humidifier in each unit. They sprayed mist into the airflow. They were replaced last year at which time scale was seen on the coils and condensation pan. This...

Bathroom condensation [ 2 Answers ]

Why do I have condensation in my bathroom after taking a shower despite opening a window in the room?

Landlord/Tenant Law in Texas - What Duty Does Tenant Have to Pay for New Carpet? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We moved into an apartment two years and three months ago and just moved out. In February, my husband had food poisoning and was very sick. He had taken pepto bismol, but in a polite way, it didn't stay down. Thus, we ended up with some light pink stains in an area about one foot wide...

View more questions Search