Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elib Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Slow kitchen sink drain
    Hello --

I've been battling a slow kitchen sink drain for some time now. After watching someone successfully unclog a sink drain with a hose and a blast of hot water, I tried it a few times to no avail. Every time I think I fix the drain, I close the pipes up and it's slow again. I read somewhere that a gurgling sound means it's a grease block, and it does gurgle when it finally drains out.

It does occur to me that perhaps my drain is OK, but the venting is not. I notice some bubbling in the drain, and when I am pumping water directly into the open pipes, it drains fine.

All other drains in the house are fine. I'm in an apartment building on ground floor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -Eli
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Your venting may be partially clogged. It is usually the landlords responsibility if a vent needs to be rodded so check with him. Before you go too far try this. Mix a half cup salt, half cup baking soda and half cub of white vinegar. Mix and pour into the drain. Allow to sit over night and then flush with a bucket of the hotest water you can get. If it was your drain and not the vent your problem should be gone.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2007, 09:43 AM
    "I read somewhere that a gurgling sound means it's a grease block, and it does gurgle when it finally drains out."

No, a "gurggle" indicates that the sinks attempting to vent through the trap because the vent's blocked. Balengerb was bang on when he fingered the kitchen vent. If your landlord won't snake out the vent click on back for instructions. Good luck, Tom

Apr 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Your venting may be partially clogged. It is usually the landlords responsibility if a vent needs to be rodded so check with him. Before you go too far try this. Mix a half cup salt, half cup baking soda and half cub of white vinegar. Mix and pour into the drain. Allow to sit over night and then flush with a bucket of the hotest water you can get. If it was your drain and not the vent your problem should be gone.
    I'll give it a try!
    Is that enough liquid to get past the little trap under the sink and into the pipes? I don't have a u-bend, just a simple trap, and I think it's bigger than a cup and a half.

Thanks for your time, and I'll let you know if it works.
    -Eli

Apr 7, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    No, a "gurggle" indicates that the sinks attempting to vent through the trap because the vent's blocked. Balengerb was bang on when he fingered the kitchen vent. If your landlord won't snake out the vent click on back for instructions. Good luck, Tom
    I see.
    Where can I find instructions on snaking a vent? All I see under the sink is a single drain pipe sticking out of the floor of the cabinet.

If I can, I'd rather learn how to fix the problem myself.

Thanks again to all for your time.
    -Eli
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2007, 11:01 AM
    No problem Eli,

The kitchen vent's the pipe sticking out of the roof just above the kitchen sink. Rent a sewer machine and send it down the vent until you reach the base. Now put out 25 feet more to clear the drain line as well. Flush the pipes out by running a hose down the vent for a few minutes. Good luck, Tom

Apr 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Elib, you mentioned ground floor so I guess this is a multi story building. This probably isn't something real safe for you to try and your landlord needs to be notified of the issue first. Did he already refuse to snake the vent?

Apr 7, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Thankfully, no, I am unable to deal with this at the moment, and I have yet to contact the landlord. I probably won't attempt anything like what speedball says. I don't even know what the vent looks like. I thought maybe there was a way I could reach the vent from inside the apartment, but there is no sign of it (like I mentioned, I only see one pipe under the sink, and it goes straight down).

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to leave this to a professional.

Still, thanks for the helpful tips, and I'll remember that mixture for next time I have drain problems.

Apr 7, 2007, 03:04 PM
    The vent starts inside the thickness of your walls and goes up to the roof. When it comes through the roof it looks like a 4 " grey pipe sticking up a foot.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2007, 03:12 PM
    "I only see one pipe under the sink, and it goes straight down)."
    If the pipe goes through the floor and not into the wall then you do not have a vent you have a "S" trap. Since there is no vent the gurgle's normal for a "S" trap. NEW GAME PLAN! Now you can get at the clog from the inside. Remove the bend of the trap and send a snake down under the floor for about 25 feet, less if you have no basement and are on the ground floor.
    Good luck, Tom
    pitzel23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
    I just dealt with the same problem and was at my wits end. The drain was not plugged, nor was the vent plugged. I finally decided that the trap below the left hand sink was too far from the vent as it was 5 feet plus. I was able to reduce this to about 4 feet by moving the trap to the left hand sink and sure enough, it drains perfectly. Hope this helps. Al
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2008, 04:08 AM
    I read somewhere that a gurgling sound means it's a grease block, and it does gurgle when it finally drains out. It does occur to me that perhaps my drain is OK, but the venting is not. I notice some bubbling in the drain,
    BINGO! That's what it sounds like to me too. Rent a sewer machine, (see image) from your Rent all or Home Depot and snake the kitchen roof vent. Put out enough snake to reach the base and 15 feet more . Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Sink slow to drain [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed vessel sinks. They have no overflow. They are slow to drain. Is there a trick? When I jiggle to stopper, air bubbles escape and it drains a little better, but not good. Kohler sez it takes a special drain. Is there something I can do?

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Slow sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have been having problems with my kitchen sink draining extremely slow. If I put any chemicals down the drain, there is no effect. I checked the trap and it is clean. If I clear it with a plunger it works great, completely drains and runs great for about 30 seconds and then backs up...

Kitchen sink slow to drain (sometimes) [ 2 Answers ]

So I just finished a total gut and redo in the kitchen. Everything is working perfectly (drains nice and clean, etc.) and I was happy of a job done right. My wife comes to tell me the sink is backed up and draining VERY slowly. I turn on the disposal and WHAM! The sink is empty again. I can...

View more questions Search