Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcheriep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Recently Married to a foreigner, LIving Overseas. How do I file?
    Help! I have lived in Spain for several years. I qualify for Foreign Earned Income and the Foreign Housing Deduction. I am self-employed. I married a Spaniard in Nov 2006. I am trying to file my taxes and I'm not sure what status to use. He's not an American citizen, we don't live in the U.S. and he does not earn any money in the U.S. He pays more than 50% of our expenses.

Can I still file as a single? Or must I file as married? If so, what do I do about my spouse?

Thank you for any wisdom you can share.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 7, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcheriep
    Help! I have lived in Spain for several years. I qualify for Foreign Earned Income and the Foreign Housing Deduction. I am self-employed. I married a Spaniard in Nov 2006. I am trying to file my taxes and I'm not sure what status to use. He's not an American citizen, we don't live in the U.S. and he does not earn any money in the U.S. He pays more than 50% of our expenses.

Can I still file as a single? Or must I file as married? If so, what do I do about my spouse?

Thank you for any wisdom you can share.
    You are married so you must file as a married individual. You cannot file a joint return with a non-resident unless the non-resident elects to be a resident and includes their worldwide income.

You might be able to claim an exemption for your non-citizen spouse if they have no US income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 09:09 AM
    TTE covered it rather well! No additional comments.
    Dp1954 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Moving to the Philippines soon and married a lady with 3 kids can you please tell me as far as tax wise can I claim any of them and if now what do I need to do to make that possible. Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Are your spouse and the children U.S. Citizens?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file if married & living in a foreign country [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am an American citizen who has been living in South Africa for the last 7 years. I have just discovered that I need to submit an IRS tax return for the last year. I have also married a South African citizen last year. Neither of us has any income from the US. My question is how should...

Married Recently Deduction Question [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married and was wondering can I claim my wife as a dependent.. and myself? In actuallity , can I claim 2 dependents (myself and my wife?) I will be doing my taxes with an Online ( well-known company) we do not own anything and have very very few deductions. Thanks

Living overseas and not working [ 2 Answers ]

So I lived in the UK from Dec 2001 till March of this year. I know I filed taxes for the tax year of the year I moved. But since then I have not worked, and there for not filed taxes, as my accountant mother instructed me to do. Now I have married a Brit and we are in the process of applying for...

Recently married, and bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I got married four months ago, my husband has many old debts (from when he was single) and he wants to file for a bankruptcy. Mostly, all the accounts ( house, credit card, car) are under my name only, I added him in one of my credit card as an additional user but this cretid card is under my name....

HELP ME! Married to a foreigner with possible tax treaty [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, please help me. I have tried HR Block, and some local CPAs, including some in Astoria, but no one can help me!! Here is my situation: I am a US citizen who married a Greek national. We have one child together. This will be the first year we migh file together-married joint. I worked half...

View more questions Search