Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tslugo05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2014, 12:41 PM
    Chirping Disconnected Hardwired AC/DC Alarm - Help, Please!
    We have had one of our hardwired AC/DC First Alert Smoke Detectors chirping for 17 days straight now - sometimes for an hour or hours before a break. The Electrician has visited our house every single day except Sunday and replaced all 7 units twice. The Electrician has them on the same circuit as 3 of our rooms - if I totally disconnect the smoke alarms, we lose power to clocks, lights, and fans in Great room, bedroom, and TV room. AND, if I remember correctly, when we threw the breaker on it, the chirping continued even when disconnected and battery pulled out of it - the ceiling chirps! The Electrician told us that couldn't happen - and then it happened in front of him. He gave a lame excuse that it must be another one doing it but couldn't not find it. We are going crazy - thinking about renting a hotel room to get some sleep and charging it to the builder. House is only 2 years old. Yes, batteries where changed out in March 2014 and the problem started August 16, 2014. No problem at all until 8/16/14. Now we have nothing but problems!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 01:31 PM
    if I totally disconnect the smoke alarms, we lose power to clocks, lights, and fans in Great room,
    That is not logical. You should be able to unplug the smoke detectors with out interrupting anything. That however will not stop the chirping, the battery charges another internal battery (I think it is really a capacitor) and that power for the chirping. It will eventually run down also.

The chirping is an signal of low battery. Since you say you replaced the batteries, I suggest you look for another smoke detector somewhere that you may not be aware of. Such as in the attic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard wired smoke detector disconnected, breaker turned off still chirping. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hard wired smoke detector with no battery backup that started chirping. I turned off the breaker and it stopped for a while but now still chirps about every 60 seconds. We installed a new detector, still chirps. We removed the new detector, still chirps. Any ideas?

My smoke alarm is hard wired and disconnected and chirping [ 3 Answers ]

I have two hard wired detectors in my home. I have had chirping for two months. First I took the head off and took the battery out. Then I disconnected the black and white wires and recapped the live ends. It still chirps. So then I went and flipped the circuit breaker to the two rooms and the...

Smoke alarm chirping [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my smoke alarm had started to chirp at 4 in the morning. The thing is I've taking the battery out plus I've taking the fuse out I've disconnected the alarm from the roof but it's still chirping at the roof were the wires are please help

My smoke alarm is chirping after I changed the battery, it won't stop. [ 2 Answers ]

I have three smoke detectors plus another connected to ADT. I changed the batteries in all three, however one will not stop chirping. I tried to just undo the wires but that just set off the ADT smoke dectector. How can I make the chirping stop?

A weird Wired Smoke Alarm chirping issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. My wife and I have been having an ongoing issue with the wired smoke alarm system that is installed in the condo that we live in (the condo was built 3 years ago). Basically, no matter how often we've tried to replace the backup batteries with brand new ones (9V Energizer Alkalines) in...

View more questions Search