Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kmoore 1951 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2014, 07:35 AM
    Hippa right
    As wife and caregiver of my husband, and someone who also holds power of attorney over my husband, can I require the hospital and doctors to only release medical information to me and who I designate?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 28, 2014, 08:21 AM
    It's HIPAA, but aside from spelling, when you sign any medical form there is fine print (usually right above the signature line) allowing the information to be released to other medical providers. You can refuse to sign it, but why would you? If you have copies of all the forms you have signed, you can go through them and decide which ones you want to rescind. But in general, they have no reason to divulge medical information to any provider who doesn't have a vested interest in the health of your husband.

Your choice. As far as I know, there is no spot for designating which other medical providers are allowed to have the information. And signing a boilerplate form after writing in limitations in the margin doesn't hold, legally.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2014, 09:43 AM
    As Joy said, all US medical providers are required to have patients sign an authorization form designating who they can release info to. Ask his medical providers for a new form for you to sign providing them with a copy of the POA to show you can sign for him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPPA Help [ 3 Answers ]

We are a company with about 70 emoployess and I, part of the HR staff, am in the process of creating an official Leave of Absence form. In this form we are having the employee let us know what they are requesting their leave of absence with the normal what day will be your last day, day to return,...

Hippa [ 3 Answers ]

I recently went out on FMLA medical leave from my present place of employment, which is a retail establishment. I confidentially informed my supervisor of my medical condition, asking her to keep it confidential. I have since learned that 1 week after I went out on leave, she was sharing my medical...

Hippa [ 2 Answers ]

I am a nursing student in a State Nursing Program in North Dakota. I was working independently on my own time and place of employment, not associated with the school when the clinical instructor of this program who was on site with another student overheard in nurse's report information pertaining...

View more questions Search