Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ray Walker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2014, 06:53 PM
    Father in law lost his wife.
    My father in law recently lost his wife of a little over a year. He found a safe deposit box in their names with 93,000 shares of AT&T , Lucent and Bell south stocks. He is unsure how to transfer these stocks into his name. What should he do to begin the process?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2014, 06:55 PM
    Did she leave a will? If not did she have any other heirs? The estate will need to be submitted for probate. The estate representative or executor will then be able to transfer the shares to the heirs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 07:04 PM
    Agreed, it will need to go though probate and the estate will have to establish proper heir. Then they can be transferred.

Aug 28, 2014, 04:40 AM
    I moved this to Family Law from Investing since it's a legal question not an investing one. If there was no will, then we need to know the general locale to see what the laws of inheritance are.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 06:21 AM
    Presumably the shares are in the name of the deceased wife?

OP needs to speak with a good probate attorney ASAP. We are talking about a lot of money here.

Aug 28, 2014, 07:27 AM
    We are talking about a lot of money here.
    At the current price 93,000 shares of AT&T stock is worth over $3.2 million. I think your father-in-law can afford a good attorney.
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Sep 11, 2014, 01:18 PM
    I am just curious, if the wife didn't leave a will, then how the assets get divided? Just curious...

Sep 11, 2014, 01:50 PM
    I am just curious, if the wife didn't leave a will, then how the assets get divided? Just curious...
    We don't know if the assets were divided. Unless the OP decides to return and enlighten us we will continue to be curious.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 11, 2014, 01:51 PM
    In the US, they get divided according to the 'intestate' laws of the state the deceased resided in at the time of death.
    Many if not most states give something like half to the spouse, and divide the rest equally among surviving children. That's the simple version. It's easy to find 'intestate laws of X state' online.

The safe deposit box in BOTH NAMES might put a different spin on this, however, and the spouse might get everything in the box, if there is no will.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 11, 2014, 02:08 PM
    To the OP - unfortunately the stock certificates are obsolete, as BellSouth, Lucent and AT&T Corp have all been bought out or combined with other companies and new stock certificates were issued. Lucent is now Alcatel-Lucent, AT&T Corp. was merged with SBC and the combined entity was renamed AT&T Inc., and BellSouth is now part of Verizon. If you have a stock broker you trust you might ask him/her how to convert these obsolete share certificates into the new stock. Otherwise, contact investor services at AT&T Inc, Alcatel-Lucent, and Verizon to ask about converting them. My expectation is that they will each require a copy of the Death Certificate plus Letters testamentary from the probate court that document your father-in-law have the authority to change ownership of these certificates.

Given the size of this estate I would strongly advise that your father-in-law hire an attorney to help him through the probate process, especially if your step mother had children from a previous marriage.

Sep 11, 2014, 02:32 PM
    ebaines makes an interesting point here. I knew the names of those companies represented entities no longer in existence. So the possibility exists that the shares were converted some time in the past and those obsolete certificates are no longer valid. But the OP won't know until a stock broker is consulted and/or the successor firms contacted.

As noted, the f-I-l will have to prove he is entitled to those shares.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 11, 2014, 06:03 PM
    Sounds like the box was in both of their names but we don't know who owns the stocks.
    current pert

Sep 11, 2014, 06:19 PM
    Stock isn't always converted. I had a little General Motors until 4 years ago. It's worthless. Apparently they issued new stock.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 12, 2014, 07:29 AM
    Stock isn't always converted. I had a little General Motors until 4 years ago. It's worthless. Apparently they issued new stock.
    I very strongly doubt that it's worthless. If new stock is issued to the owners of old stock, they can only issue it if they know who the owners are. If the stock is sitting in a safety deposit box, and not registered with the corporation, obviously the corporation cannot issue the new stock until it is asked to do so.

As far as your GM stock, the US government bailed GM out about 5 years ago, and GM went through a Ch. 11 bankruptcy. GM shafted secured shareholders in the process I believe that may be what it is to which you are referring.
    current pert

Sep 12, 2014, 12:49 PM
    Yes, my shares were all digital ones, and yes, I was shafted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Demanding Sister in Law (brother-in-law wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Ever since I got engaged to my fiancé his brother's wife has not stopped making comments about me. Initially it was about my weight, which I admit was a problem, but I have since lost it. Then she began talking to my parents about how much more I am getting from the family in wedding presents etc...

Can my wife and I be held liable for my father-in-law's traffic accident? [ 3 Answers ]

If my wife’s family (and I) know that the elderly father of said family should not be driving and the elderly man goes out and has a traffic accident by where somebody's property is damaged and/or somebody is hurt or killed, can I or anyone in the family be held liable? Keep in mind this elderly...

Father and father-in-law have chronnic illnesses. Do we wait for kids? [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum... Okay so I'm going to try to keep this short and bless all of you who read this whole thing, I know you don't know anything about my life but I'm just wanting to get some different viewpoints on this choice that me and my boyfriend are being...

Father in law will not leave mother in law alone after passing [ 4 Answers ]

Please help my father in law passed in November after being married to my mother in law for 57 years. For a couple of months she didn't feel his presence, now she says he will not go away and is trying to sexually molest her. She is becoming increasingly agitated about it. What can we do?

View more questions Search