Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carol_1958 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2014, 04:27 PM
    Quote for Interlock repair
    We had interlock repair done. We were given a quote for the job.

Labour was 3 guys for 4 days at 10 hours per day. Rate was 2 guys 26.50/hr, 3rd was 15.25/hr.

Total estimate $2730.

The quote included materials and labour. Labour was stated as #of hours and cost per hr. and it was emailed with heading "Quote for Repairs to Steps". The company stated they could write a proper contract as I wanted to know the warranty period. The contract ended up being a hand written note. Basically outlining the balance due when complete.

Because the quote was based on hours of work, I assumed the billing would be as such.

What was quoted as 120 hours ended up being 75 hours, however, we were billed for the total Quote amount which was close to $800. More. Actual time 75hrs, billed for 120 hrs.

Do we have any recourse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 06:59 PM
    Depends on the exact wording of the paper work.

Normally, same when you have auto work done, the quotes are done, showing hours and material, for a total price.

You pay the quote price, the higher hours of labor, if they do it faster, is their cost savings or additional profit

Normally you will pay the quote amount.
    This appears to be normal practice and unless your agreement was merely so much per hour, this is fairly standard
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 06:59 AM
    I agree with Fr Chuck: if they billed for the amount quoted, yet did the amount in less time than indicated in the quote, you should pay the bill.

The company stated they could write a proper contract as I wanted to know the warranty period. The contract ended up being a hand written note. Basically outlining the balance due when complete
    The problem here, as I understand, is that you didn't get a written warranty. From your spelling of "labour", I'm assuming you are not in the U.S. Generally in the US the UCC applies, and if a warranty is not specified one is implied. It may or may not be the same wherever you are. Before paying the bill, you should request a written warranty.

You also indicate that there was an exchange of e-mail(s). For some reason many people don't seem to understand that an e-mail is a writing, and may form a written contract. Was the warranty period specified in an e-mail?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ignition interlock [ 3 Answers ]

So I have had a breathalizer for over a year and I made my mistakes on it so I have had to restart the program. I have completed counciling once again but I had a period of a months time where the monitor would continue to fail me then pass me right after. With me being a second time doing this...

Interlock device [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose that someone else is driving my car, equipped with in interlock device, to work. Now suppose that he/she has gotten some failures on that device. What are the consequences to myself? And, on another note, I have been informed, by someone in the know, that although the interlock devives...

Generator Interlock [ 1 Answers ]

After this resent storm I find myself looking to install a backup generator to my house. Here is my problem, I would like to install an interlock kit to my panel box but haven't been able to find one made by the same company. I have a GE panel box TM2020C PowerMark Load Center 200amp installed in...

Interlock [ 6 Answers ]

I have the interlock in my car and I haven't been drinking at all... the stupid thing aborts and fails all the time... seriously, coffee, jelly beans, lip gloss you name it... I am so worried that my download will look like I'm a mess!! Are they all this bad? So frustrating!

I need to translate English quote into a Classic Sanskrit quote [ 2 Answers ]

Beautiful lotus without a scent like him who doesn’t act accordingly. Bussihism taught a life not by rule, but by principle, a life of beauty; and as a consequence, it was a religion of tolerance. It was the most charitable system under the sun. Thanks guys Nicole:)

View more questions Search