Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Aug 27, 2014, 02:01 PM
    Ideas How To Stop Annoying Phone Calls??
    Short of changing out our home phone number for a new number any ideas on how we could curtail or eliminate pesky persistent unwanted Telemarketer Phone Calls? We are Registered with the National Do Not Call List.. All we've been able to glean is the call originates from New Jersey.. The extremely annoying part if one picks up a clicking noise is heard and music begins to play, nothing else no adult voice to great you either.. We have Ident A Call , so when the Ringing Phone is ignored and the Ringing stops 2 minutes later another phone number appears same area code.. So much for the Do Not Call Registry..?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 02:25 PM
    Is it from the 973 area code? I get telemarketing calls from there.

We've gotten a few telemarketing calls from our own landline number. My husband (retired from AT&T) gave a name for that, can't remember. Beware!

Maybe someone here has a solution. Many of those calls don't have a human at the other end.

Aug 27, 2014, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is it from the 973 area code? I get telemarketing calls from there.
    Maybe someone here has a solution. Many of those calls don't have a human at the other end.
    It's an 844 area code...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    It's an 844 area code...
    That's a toll-free area code. It might be originating in NJ, but is not one of the state's area codes. (I guess you said that.) It looks like there are reports on it by others who claim it's a scam ad (but usually no one answers).

ScottGem or others here will, I hope, weigh in. I've found that being on the Do Not Call list doesn't help much.

Aug 27, 2014, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's a toll-free area code. It might be originating
    ScottGem or others here will, I hope, weigh in. I've found that being on the Do Not Call list doesn't help much..

That's t's the thing with the Do Not Call List.. Telemarketers have found a Loop Hole.. lol...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2014, 06:36 PM
    Have you reported the calls to your carrier?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 07:16 PM
    Several things, on the Do Not Call List.

First many companies, and spammers just ignore it.

Next, if that company has any partnership, with a bank, or a club, or a store where you have a membership card, they can call you.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2014, 04:45 AM
    Here is what I do. It is not for everyone, and it won't completely solve the problem but it does give me a little satisfaction when a telemarketer gets zapped.

First of all, you need to have a computer that is on all the time. My home office desktop, for example.
    Next, you need a fax/modem card (or external USB modem).
    Third, get PhoneTray software (http://www.phonetray.com/) and install it. Please note I have NO association with this company--I just use it.

What happens is that when a call comes in the caller ID info is examined by PhoneTray and if the number is on your "blacklist", it will get answered by the program and your choice of message is played. Could be "this number is not in service", "telemarketers are not accepted", etc. There are a good number of messages included.

You can add numbers that slip through to your blacklist, or for a small annual subscription fee you can access PhoneTray's online database (the program will do this automatically) and numbers in that list will be blocked. A blocked number will ring once and then get zapped. I can usually never get to the phone on the first ring anyway!

Like I said, this is not for everyone because there is some effort to initially set it up and get things working smoothly. However, once this is done you will find telemarketing calls to be less bothersome. If only the Do Not Call list would have worked like it was promoted to us.

Note that there is a lot more about PhoneTray that I did not mention here. If interested, just check out their website. I've been using this program for just about a year now.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A babysitter gets weird phone calls when she calls the police they tell her to get ou [ 2 Answers ]

I think I saw this in the early to mid 90s when a babysitter gets a weird phone calls she calls the police they call her back and tell her to get out of the house because the calls are coming from inside the home and when they finally show the killer he's is painted into the wall made to look like...

Phone calls [ 1 Answers ]

Can I call a patient to advise him I entered the requested LABS and Meds and his wife states she will pass on the message as he is not available. No details are given as to type of MEDS/LABS

Phone calls [ 2 Answers ]

Caller: Send help quick, my wife is going into labor! Operator: Is this her first child? Caller: No, dangit, I'm her Husband!

Can I stop computer generated phone calls. [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to "trick" or "fool" a computer generated phone call into thinking that my number is disconnected by repeatedly pressing either the astrick (*) or pound (#) symbol on my phone? If true, approx. how many times would the key need to be pressed?

Harassing or annoying calls [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any law against companies, private or public, continuing to make annoying phone calls to your private residence even after you have left messages on their answering machine to stop? Also is there any law dealing with how late in the evening they can call? I have the same company calling...

View more questions Search