Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inaru Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Aug 27, 2014, 12:20 AM
    Dog FREAKS at the very sight of nail clippers
    When my boyfriend and I moved in together, he brought his dog with. He said that they always took him to the vet to get his nails done, but I don't want to do that. I am willing to do it myself, but this dog absolutely flips out when I get the clippers out. He will run and hide from me. He will whine and growl at me if I have them in my hand. I've tried treats, but he won't take them. I've even just sat in the room with him with them in my hands, but he just cowers in the corner until I put them away. I've had to resort to holding him down and quickly doing it while he struggles and cries like I'm butchering him. I have a scar from when he scratched me trying to get away! He then acted like he was terrified of me and traumatized for a couple weeks.
    Anyway, he really needs them done. Any tips? I really don't want to have to take him to the vet.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 01:46 AM
    Take him to the vet and get them done humanely. Many dogs are like this. And rather then put me and my dog through that painful expedience, I have the vet do it.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 06:32 AM
    So the dog is terrified of having his nails done and yet you force him? Do you not see this can have long term consequences for the dog and his trust issues. You do not want a dog that is fearful of you and it can lead to that as you are not listening to what he is telling you.
    Take him to the vet and allow the vet to do them and slowly try to build the dogs trust back.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 06:58 AM
    How old is the dog?

Is there a reason you refuse to take the dog to the vet to have his nails clipped? Has your boyfriend said anything about the way you are treating his dog? Has he been around for one of the clipping sessions?

The dog wasn't acting. He was terrified of you and he was traumatized. He is learning to be afraid of having his paws handled and of you. Is that what you want?

Just because you are willing doesn't mean it is a good idea. If he is struggling and terrified, it makes it harder for you to be careful when you clip his nails. It means there is a greater chance you are hurting him by getting too close to the quick or actually cutting the quick by accident. Why not make life less traumatic for both of you and take him to the vet?

Aug 27, 2014, 08:42 AM
    He's 6 years old and very affectionate and well-behaved, other than this. I didn't want to take him to the vet unless I had to because he was abandoned and left at the vet by his previous owner, so he's extremely nervous just getting in the car. My boyfriend adopted him from there. So, I just wanted to be able to do it at home. He acts the same way with the vet. I know forcing him was wrong, but they badly needed to be clipped. After seeing him scared like that, I've been asking for help on how to make it a better experience for him, cause I've tried everything I've read online. But apparently my only option is the vet. I would have just preferred to be able to get him comfortable with us doing it at home.

On another note, my boyfriend helped me clip his nails. He was scared of ME cause I was the one with the clippers.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 01:35 PM
    Better for the dog to fear the vet, than fear you.

Many dogs have issues with their paws being touched. One reason I love getting a puppy is that you can work with them from minute one, handling their paws, clipping their nails, and teaching them that it's okay. Even then, it doesn't always work. My beagle, who we got at 12 weeks of age, is fine having his nails clipped. He doesn't love it, but he sits still for it, and allows us to do it with no issues. My border collie, who we got at 8 weeks, does not even like to shake paw. He's fine with his back paws being done, but the front paws he hates. He tolerates it, but it's not without a struggle.

Your dog is absolutely terrified. By continuing to insist that you do this to him, you're creating issues with the dog, bonding issues. It's like a child that's abused (and that's what this is to this particular dog). The child may still love the parent abusing them, but they're terrified of them, always on alert, always afraid, never knowing when they'll be abused again. You're creating anxiety in this dog. Better for the vet (who he doesn't have to see that often), to be the one he's anxious about. Not the person that lives with him and sees him every day.

Take him to the vet for the nail clippings. It will be easier on both of you.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 03:17 PM
    You might consider other methods. There are nail grinders on the market that do a pretty good job. They make noise and cause vibrations in the paw so it will take time for him to get used to the idea. The other issue with them is you can only grind a little off at a time, so you need to use the grinder every couple of days. The up side is they will only vibrate rather than pinch, which may be the trauma he's reacting to.
    Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 03:24 PM
    @cats. Nail grinders are not an option anymore, no one uses them for the simple fact the vibration would go right up the dog's leg which was traumatic for the dog. Also, just doing a bit at a time with nail grinders was no good either because dog had to go through the vibration all over again.

Best to get your dog comfortable from an early age, with nail clippers.

I hated using the nail grnder too, because the vibration was not pleasant for my hand and arm.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 2, 2014, 03:28 PM
    I got my dog when she was about 4 years old, and she struggles away from clippers too. So I clip one nail a week! I rub her tummy, get her all soothed, no treats, just lots of cuddling, then I clip ONE nail. Sometimes I get one done so fast I can sneak in a second one.

I see no reason on earth to turn it into a torture session.

Want to add that some people have a magic touch... my dog, a JRT, followed a kid I know down the road one day, and his mother, a vet tech, carried her to my house. She had clipped all her nails while walking down the road. Go figure!
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 04:10 PM
    Joy, same here. There's one vet at the clinic we go to (it's a clinic with multiple vets) that can clip my dogs nails so easily, she makes it look like everyone should be able to do it. She's fast, she's calm, and the dogs just sit there, it's snip, snip, snip, and done in a minute. She even cut Rascal's qwik once, and he still trusts her.

Me, I've never cut his qwik, and he does struggle when I do it. He accepts it, but he's not happy about it. At this vet, he almost seems happy to have it done. Can't figure that out, especially since she pokes them with needles, sticks thermometers up their butts, and gives them yucky pills. You'd think they'd hate her, but they don't.

@ Tickle. I'm not sure if you mean that nail grinders are not an option for anyone, or if they're simply not an option for the OP. I'm guessing you mean the first, since you said that no one uses them. That's not at all true. They're still sold everywhere I go that sells pet supplies, and I know many people that prefer them to clippers. It all depends on the dog, and the owner. Some dogs do a lot better with the grinder than with the clipper. It's a disservice, in my opinion, to the OP to state that no one uses them, that they're bad, just because you don't like to use them.

Let's try to remember that we should provide all available options to posters, even if we don't necessarily like the options given. If they're valid, and other people have had success with them, they should be given as an option, and not dismissed just because of person prejudice. By all means state your opinion, but stating that no one uses them, and literally making an option a non option, based on opinion only, shouldn't be done.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 04:15 PM
    I use my Dremel tool with a grinding cone, all three dogs tolerate it well. A vet may get pricey but we sometimes go to the dog wash place and they trim too. BTW, they use both a Dremel and a clipper
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 04:34 PM
    I use both methods. Each has pros and cons.

One other point about grinders is that the friction does heat up the nail. However, if you use quick short passes instead of long slow passes there is about as much heat as running across rocks and pavement or digging in rocky soil generates.

I have a hound mix that refuses to be in the same room with the grinder. He gets his clipped with clippers. Since he has mostly clear nails, it is easy to see the quick and to keep from hurting him.

My Doberman, on the other paw, prefers the grinder. With her hard black nails, it is harder to see where the quick ends and ends up being safer. When I do use the clippers I often use the grinder to smooth the end of the nail. To her, it is a source of treats.

Each human has to find what works best for their animal.

If going to the vet seems to be just as bad as doing them at home, another option might be a groomer. I know in some places there are mobile groomers. You might see if any are available in your area.

Good luck to all of you.
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 04:45 PM
    Ballen, great suggestion. Not an option where I live with the dog wash place (unless I'm misunderstanding what that is. I'm thinking the pet wash that's like a car wash, but for pets, very do it yourself). Our Jasper (RIP) was a very fearful dog when it came to getting his nails clipped. Our vet charges $5 for clipping, Petsmart charges $7 (at least they did when we went to get Jasper's nails clipped). It's very reasonable, especially because most dogs only need their nails trimmed once a month, even less if they're walked often (concrete sidewalks grind their nails). So no reason not to get a professional to do it for you. :)

We walk our dogs often, and they only need their nails trimmed once every 2 months if that. More in winter, because the snow covers the concrete. :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 2, 2014, 04:50 PM
    Holding the dog down to clip his nails, and having him terrified of you for several days afterward, doesn't do anyone any good. Until you find a way to make him less afraid of having his nails clipped, you should take him to the vet. Not only is it better for him to be afraid of someone he doesn't live with, but a vet has everything they need in case he does get hurt when he struggles.

As far as getting him to be less afraid of the clippers, you should go very slowly. Take them out from wherever you keep them, and put them somewhere out of the way but visible. Don't pick them up. Don't draw attention to them. Just let them sit there and ignore them.

Once they become just part of the scenery and he's no longer afraid of them, move them to a more obvious spot. Put them on the end table you use all the time, or keep them on the coffee table. Somewhere you'll be close to all the time. Again, don't pick them up. Just leave them sitting there.

When that no longer bothers him, start picking them up. Hold pick them and put them down before you grab the remote or your drink. Move them from one place to another. Just handle them for a few seconds before putting them back down.

After that, start handling them for longer and longer. Put them in your lap while you watch TV. Carry them with you around the house. Just make it normal for them to be in your hands, but don't try to use them. If they make a clipping sound, make squeezing them part of handling them, so he hears the noise.

During all of that, make paw contact part of play and petting. Rub down his legs to his paws when you pet him. If you can get him to, play tag where you put your hand over his paw and do it again when he moves it.

No matter what, you need to make sure he does not associate the fear of the clippers or touching his paws with you. The goal is to get him used to the clippers existing, but not threatening him. At the first sign of fear, stop. If you're holding the clippers and he shies away, put them down. If touching his paw upsets him, move to petting another part of him. When he no longer shows any sign of fear of the clippers, you can start working on getting him used to having them used on him, one claw at a time, but not before then. Until then, the vet should still be the one doing the clipping. Moving too fast will undo the progress. Expect it to take at least a week for every step, and probably at two for some of them.

In the mean time, you can also work on his fear of cars. Take him places that aren't the vet. Give him treats before, during, and after the car ride. Go to the park, pet stores that allow pets inside, on any errands that won't leave him in the car alone, or even just around the block. Make the car more than the thing that takes him to the bad place where people hurt him.
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 04:52 PM
    Cat, great suggestions.

Indy my lab mix (RIP) and Jasper my border collie mix (RIP) both had black nails. Made seeing the qwik very difficult. Indy had his qwik cut more than once, one time was extremely bad. After that I kept corn starch, or flour near me when I cut his nails (dab on the nail, and the bleeding stops). But even after all that, and a few qwik cuts at the vet, he was still fine with having his nails clipped.

Jasper, see above.

Chewy, my beagle, has mostly clear nails. They're a mix. I have a clipper with a led light on it, to shine on the nail. I bought it mainly for the bunnies, who need their nails clipped every two weeks. I can do all 4 bunnies in less than 15 minutes and bunnies are a lot harder than dogs. Bunnies hate even being held, which most dogs love, so they're being held, and being clipped, two things that are both traumatic. I have no issues with any of them. I sit them in my lap, shine the led light, find the qwik, pick my spot to clip, and boom boom boom, we're done. It's become a ritual, and they're used to it, even Thumper who has black nails, and came to us at 4 years of age, and was considered highly aggressive, 2nd time in the shelter when we got him.

Rascal is hard, he's a border collie, but he also has mixed colored nails. He's black, brown and white, instead of white and black. But his qwik is harder to find.

The grinder, or filing tool, we bought it, and our dogs didn't do well with it. But our neighbors dogs, both of them, prefer it to the clipper. You just have to find what works. I have one friend that files her dogs nails with an emory board. She does it every day, a bit at a time. A lot of work for her, but it works for her and her dogs.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 05:24 PM
    Inaru, you see many different opinions and options are available, each with their own proponents. Note the one common thread in all these suggestions is to be gradual about changing the way the animals nails get done. Sudden surprises are just as traumatic for dogs as they are for people.
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 05:50 PM
    Exactly Cats.

Just in case, let's clarify. You're human, you're female (according to your posts) so I'm guessing you've likely gone to get your nails done at least once in your life. If not, I have. I had fake nails, the gel tips, for around a year. I went every month to get them done. No issues. Last time I went was over 12 years ago. That time they used the dremel to grind down the tip of the nail for the gel tips, and they hit skin. I bled like a stuck pig. It hurt! A lot!

I got the tips, and that was the last time I got my nails done. Now I do them myself.

Dogs don't have that option.

This dog is a rescue, and was rescued late in life. He can't tell you what happened before you got him. Humans are notorious for not knowing animal talk, which is largely based on body language, and vocals. If your dog is growling at you, or hiding from you, because you have nail clippers, then your dog is terrified of them, and had a bad experience, like I did at the nail salon. Even worse, because as a human I get that it was a freak thing. Dogs don't get that! One bad experience equals fear. Forcing that experience over and over again, instills that fear. I'm afraid that your actions have made things even worse, and I'm sorry for having to say that, but truth is truth.

I'd try other methods. Try the grinder, there are many available made especially for pets. Walmart (at least mine in Canada) sells them, less than $20. Start slowly, don't just grab his paw, start the grinder, and then say "he hated it". I'd start with a treat, get him calm, then bring the grinder out. Then, when he doesn't run from it, start it. Then, when he's able to be in the room with it while it's on, try using it on his nails. But, all of that should be after you get him used to even touching his paws, holding them without him pulling away or hiding.

Sadly, because of the damage that's already been done, the trauma he's already gone through, it's not going to be quick an easy.

Frankly, if this were my dog, I'd start with an emory board, after he allowed me to hold his paw, which could take weeks.

This is going to be slow, with a lot of patience on your part.

Sep 3, 2014, 02:42 PM
    Thank you.
    He does let me hold his paw. Like I said, he's a very good dog until the clippers come out. This whole attempt to do his nails myself was a while ago.
    I've been bringing out the clippers just to show him and now he doesn't run away when he sees them, but he will watch. Today, I even managed to tap his toes with them and he let me. But when I pet his paw while holding them, he pulled his paw back and walked away. I think he's doing okay for now. I'll try to ease him into it, and if it doesn't work, I'll just have to take him to the vet.
    I have another dog. She's a year old and she lets me clip her nails, since I've been doing them since I got her. And because she knows she'll get a treat after I'm done. Haha
    I also haven't been needing to clip them very often, because I walk them every day after work. But they're getting a little long now and I didn't want to put him through that again, so that's why I'm asking on here.
    Expert

Sep 3, 2014, 03:43 PM
    Good post Alty !
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 3, 2014, 11:39 PM
    It seems like you're approaching it the right way. Slow and gentle. Seeing someone else OK with getting their nails clipped might also help show him that they're not a scary monster trying to kill him.

Dogs are afraid of the unknown. It's a survival instinct. It's also a survival instinct to protect their paws, because an injured paw means they can't hunt or escape. Dogs, like humans, react to fear with either fight or flight. You're lucky he ran when you clipped his claws before, rather than attacking to protect himself. Dog bites usually require medical attention, and doctors report dog bites. Best case with a reported dog bite is a warning or fine, worst case is the animal being put down. Most areas require any animals that attacks a human more than once to be put down.

The best thing, for everyone, is to try to help him get over his fear. You'll all end up happier and more relaxed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog has deep wound from clippers [ 6 Answers ]

Allowed my friend to shave my dog. Worst idea ever. She nicked him good. I been cleaning the wound & covering It with gauze. A few days later it was closed & seemed fine. I noticed he's been limping & I'm guessing it's infected. The emergency clinic charges $210 plus diagnosis & medication. Not...

I broke my fake nail and riped my real nail of and now its infected what do I do now [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my older brother were play fighting and he ripped my fake nail of , its now bleeding but the nail is still attached... now it is infected what do I do ? Help me it really hurts by the way I'm 13 :(

Dog clippers [ 2 Answers ]

We have a dog with long, coarse, thick hair. What is a good set of clippers that will cut her hair relatively short (1/2 inch or so) and quickly?

Dog FREAKs at Ice [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there! We have a 3-year-old Sheltie. She's a wonderfully cuddly, sweet dog, but she FREAKS out when we get ice out of the freezer. She starts jumping when we get a glass out of the cupboard, but she goes full out NUTS when we actually get the ice---barking, growling, nipping, scratching!!...

Dog toe nail clippers [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to sharpen these? Mine are only a few months old and haven't been used that much; However, they are dull and cracking the edges of my dogs nails instead of giving a clean cut. This is a pic of the one I have. I bought it at petsmart - I'm also wondering if it's just poor quality? ...

View more questions Search