Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Aug 26, 2014, 07:24 PM
    Alumni Group plan term life insurance for 10 or 20 years.
    I received an offer for an alumni term group life insurance plan. A 10 or 20 year plan with coverage from $100,000 to $1,000,000. (level premiums, guaranteed to age 75)
    If I don't die within the 10 or 20 years what happens when the policy matures?
    Do I get the $100,000 (if that is the term I choose) or some other amount of money?
    Or does it go to the beneficiary?

I am 48, in good health, the youngest in my family and if I outlive the others so can this be considered an investment for myself?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2014, 08:21 PM
    "If I don't die within the 10 or 20 years what happens when the policy matures?" Wow, you do need to learn about level Term Life. The policy doesn't mature, it expires. You get nothing with term, that is why it is so cheap. The only time a beneficiary would collect under term life is if you die. Life Insurance is never an investment for yourself, it is for someone else. Whole life does have cash options but not level term.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 08:43 PM
    No, this type of policy does not mature. If it is purely a term life policy, nothing happens if you live, at the end of the 10 or 20 year, the policy ends and the insurance companies keeps the money paid in. No one gets money if you live.

There are some "term" policies that have a cash investment attached. (100s of names for them) in those cases, the money you pay into the policy, minus the cost of the term insurance can grow as an investment.

But if this is purely a term policy, they are very low cost, because, they only pay if you die.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate group life insurance [ 2 Answers ]

How to calculate group life insurance

Ex wife of 3 years walks into my insurance company and ask for a copy of my life ins [ 3 Answers ]

Policy and they give it to her. This looks like a privacy act violation?

Life (Term) Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website or tel no to call where you can get ratings or info that helps you to check out Insurance Companies for life (TERM) insurance before you decide to transact with them? Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search