Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 11:26 PM
    HIPPA, medical privacy and treatments
    Wanting others opinion on where they think, the common sense on this should be.

I hear people coming here, ( wanting to sue of course) because a doctor called their name. Or a drug store, let their wife have their medication.

I of course live in China, where none of this exists. Today, my trip to the hospital, at the intake, you fight your way though a crowd and dozens of people, are listening to you "yell" since they can't hear you, if you just talk, yelling what is wrong with you.

When you see the doctor, there are about 5 to 10 people staying in the exam room, and as soon as you are done, they rush to jump up on exam table to be next. So if doctor is looking at your private parts, the 10 people in the room, waiting to be next all see those private parts also.

This is of course to the other extreme.

Where is the proper line.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 04:27 AM
    I'm sorry Chuck, I don't think I quite understand what you are asking. I can say, from your description, that I wouldn't feel comfortable in that situation. I like my privacy.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 06:17 AM
    There is no proper line to be honest. To the litigious it is where it is at in the USA because if someone else knows of your problems than bad things could happen. Your employer could find out and fire you. The insurance company could find out and decide that you're not profitable any more and drop you. Your identity could be stolen. There are a butt-tone of possible problems that could come around that strict draconian privacy laws are attempting to remedy. Then there is the opposite. China, as you know, is still trying to have a good impression of a communist state. Most people have their jobs and their healthcare is free. All of this is state regulated. So when they need medical help they're all equal, as it is with EVERYTHING in China. It doesn't matter if you've got a horrible disease. It shouldn't affect your life if everyone knows it.

That's the crux of the situation. What happens if every one knows that you have a disease.

There is no good answer.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 06:20 AM
    I would be horrified to be honest. For people with social anxiety that sounds like hell on earth. Do you have any options? Smaller hospital? Doctors office etc?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 07:10 PM
    I guess, I was more ranting, (ok, I do that too sometimes) but in question, what and how much privacy should there be. Did HIPPA go too far, (ok, spell check wants to change it to HIPPO.) has the need for privacy, cost us efficiency and increased cost?

I have gotten used to it. I guess when I read some of the other posters, who wine about such minor privacy issues, I wonder where did common sense go.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 07:21 PM
    First, it's HIPAA with two A's. Not HIPPA. Did it go too far? I don't think so. I don't want everyone around me to know my medical information. When you think of HIPAA think of doctor/patient privilege.

Privacy is important. I don't think I could handle going to a hospital and fighting for treatment. It's just barbaric to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPPA Privacy act [ 5 Answers ]

What are the 12 circumstances that personal health information can be used for purposes unrelated to health care?

HIPPA/ Invasion Of Privacy [ 6 Answers ]

I was injured on the job back in November and went to their doctor and was approved to work and the employer didn't like the response. I went to my private doctor in January and discovered my employer in my doctors office and he had called the day before to make an appointment as a new patient. I...

Is this a Violation of Hippa or my right to privacy [ 10 Answers ]

I am a respected healthcare professional. I visit patients in their homes 40 hours per week and have been doing so for years. I am therefore acquainted with a very large number of people in the community. Recently I went to a clinic to be evaluated for Health Care. I was told that the Dr. (Surgeon)...

Hippa privacy law [ 2 Answers ]

A worker had gotten my release for mental and revealed some information that was in my records to my husband and is threatening to divorce me over it so can some one help me figure out about my rights

View more questions Search