Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yp1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2014, 07:54 PM
    Live/work in the state CA while family lives in state MA
    I am taking up a job in CA. My family will stay in MA for two years before joining me due to school reasons. Can I take tax deduction for the mortgage of my house in MA and rental expense of my apartment in CA for this period?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 09:31 PM
    Yes, you can deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on the house in Massachusetts.

No, you cannot deduct the apartment rent in California because the job in California is NOT considered to be temporary in nature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident and work in one state family lives in another [ 2 Answers ]

I live and work in Alaska where I am a resident but my family lives in Arizona do I have to pay taxes to Arizona

I live in state with no state tax,but my husband work in state with state tax.How to [ 1 Answers ]

I live in state of WA and I do not have state tax,but my husband move for work in KY in October 2010 and that state has state tax.We are filing federal tax as married filing jointly but I do not know how to file for KY state tax. Please,help. Thank you

Do I have to have held out for a state I work in in if the state I live in has no sta [ 1 Answers ]

I work 6 months in AZ, I live in TN. Do I need to az state taxes held out of my pay?

Primary Residence - live/work in one state while family lives in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I jointly own a home in NY with my wife and this is our primary residence today. My wife is a home maker and does not go out for work. Recently I got a job with a company in Massachussettes. We decided to buy a condo near work in Massachussettes where I would live 4 days a week and come home to my...

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

View more questions Search