Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jag1149 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2014, 08:17 AM
    Removing directors
    I am a 50% shareholder with 2 other partners each having 25%.We are the only directors. They are not acting in best interest of the corporation and have the majority vote over. What steps can the corporation or I take to have them removed as directors?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2014, 09:24 AM
    How can they have the majority vote of anything when they only have a total of 50% while you have the other 50%. They would need 51% to have a majority vote.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2014, 09:33 AM
    As noted it would seem that you have a deadlock, not a majority. Therefore the only way would be to file a lawsuit against them if you can prove that they are acting against the best interests of the corporation under the corporate bylaws.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 09:44 AM
    As I read it, OP owns exactly half of the shares, but since there are three directors, the other two would be the majority of the board of directors.

As noted, OP would have to go to court. Whether the other two directors can be removed will depend upon a close reading of the pertinent provisions of the corporations code in whichever state it is where the corporation is incorporated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2014, 09:59 AM
    but since there are three directors, the other two would be the majority of the board of directors.
    It is my understanding that when it comes to shareholder votes, each person votes the number of shares they hold in their name and by proxy. But its certainly possible that the by-laws allow for certain votes to be director. In such votes then yes they hold a 2-1 margin.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 10:04 AM
    No. Each director normally has one vote on the board of directors.

Your understanding would be correct if you were looking at shareholder voting. But the board of directors operates differently.

Think of it as a legislative body: The US House of Representatives, for example, has several hundred members. While a representative is elected by a majority of voters in his or her district, each member of the House has one vote. Similarly, with a corporation, the owner of each share has one vote for the purpose of electing directors, and each director has one vote on the board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Letter pvt ltd company Documents for Appointing and Removing Directors [ 2 Answers ]

Letter Pvt Ltd company Documents for Appointing Directors

Directors loan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an amount paid out of the company for a personal loan taken out for tax due. How do I account for it in the trial balance? Thanks

Directors vs. Officers [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Can anyone tell me the difference between a director of a company or an officer? Does one have more control over another? Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search