Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horacio48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2014, 04:28 PM
    How to remove a broken galvanized pipe stuck inside a lead pipe?
    Mine is a broken pipe inside of the other pipe, I need to remove it, it is a pipe from the laundry to the main line, I think 2in into 4inch? Is it threaded? Or solid? Can I use the saw to cut in pieces and tap out?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2014, 11:12 PM
    Please post a picture, Thanks.

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 25, 2014, 03:22 AM
    Your galvanized pipe's threaded. Why it's inside a lead pipe I haven't a clue but your solution would be to cut and remove the old pipes and replace with PVC. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 05:27 AM
    In most cases like this, the galvanized pipe, threaded or not, was stubbed into the cast iron pipe and leaded in place. Most of the time, you would just cut the galvanized pipe about 2-3 inches away from the cast iron and connect onto the galvi. pipe using a 2" to 2" shielded clamp to join on to new PVC (or ABS) pipe. In this way, you would not have to mess with the lead/cast iron at all... ;)

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing broken pipe threading from inside another pipe [ 11 Answers ]

While trying to unscrew the shower flange (the pipe that comes out of the wall that you attach the shower head to) from the pipe in the wall, the flange broke at the threading that goes into the pipe in the wall, so the threading from the flange is inside the pipe in the wall. We were told to use...

How do I remove thread stuck inside pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

My outside garden tap has snapped off from its brass hose union leaving a piece of the taps thread inside the pipe. I need a tool that can get inside the pipe to grip/ turn and remove the threaded piece remaining, can you advise what tool is god for this job ?

How to remove broken shut off valve remains inside connecting water pipe [ 1 Answers ]

When trying to remove an old shut off valve (galvanized) in the toilet, the valve disintegrated and parts of this valve is now stuck in the connecting pipe in the wall. How can I get the remnants of this valve out of the connecting pipe in the wall?

How to remove a rusted galvanized steel drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

My galvanized steel drain pipe that is 60 years old has a crack in it can this be fixed or do I have to replace it I had some one look at it and they said they could not unscrew the 18" pipe because iit was seized this pipe is the drain pipe from my sink. I had opened the wall to locate the leak....

Galvanized Pipe Stuck [ 4 Answers ]

http://mysite.verizon.net/fdraw/pipe.jpg Rusted galvanized pipe nipple is stuck in fitting in wall behind tile under bathroom sink. :( I have tried to remove it with a large pipe wrench, but it won't turn. I looking for any suggestions to get it out without damaging threads in fitting; WD40?...

View more questions Search