Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brenna9595 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2014, 01:52 PM
    Should I become a Physical Therapist Assistant or Occupational Therapist Assistant
    I am currently enrolled in a community college major in Sociology, but I decided I wanted to change majors during my third semester at college. There is another community college that offers associate degrees in the healthcare industry as well as internships. OTAs tend to make more money then PTAs, but I know I shouldn't major in something just for the money. I was looking online at the Bureau Labor of Statics, there are more jobs for PTAs, and the job outlook for PTAs and OTAs are the same. Some states have hiring median wages for PTAs then OTAs, but OTAs overall tend to make more money. OTAs can go back to college to become OTs, PTAs cannot. I was considering becoming a PTA first then going back to college to become a OTA.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2014, 02:52 PM
    I was in a health-care rehab facility earlier this year. The PTAs spent their time with lower-body exercises, and the OTAs with upper-body ones. If you want to have a career rehabilitating patients of whatever age, get the PTA and then the OTA. If, over the years, you get a master's, you can become a supervisor and still work with patients. My PTA mentioned that a doctorate is now being demanded, depending on where you want to work -- hospital, rehab, assisted care, nursing home, children's hospital.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 12:49 AM
    Agreed, you will have more opportunity and more chances for advancement, with the more degrees and certifications you can get.

This is one of the fields where you will never really stop learning and continuing the training.

I will also agree, in the firm I used to work with, they only hired with masters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physical therapy assistant salary [ 2 Answers ]

I am aware that health care industry is the most promising industry these days and has good salary in professions as in physical therapy assistant . But how does the salary varies with experience and location of job ? If I graduate with a associate degree in this profession, what would be my...

I need to see a therapist [ 4 Answers ]

I Hate me, I hate the person that I am. I Never liked me. I want to like me but how can I like me when No one else does. I am a 52 year old mother of 2. Married to a wonderful Man of 30 years. I have felt like this for most of those years. But I hide it very well. My husband knows that I am...

Physical therapist asst requirrements [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that if you file for bankruptcy you cannot get licensed for Physical therapist asst ? Is this true.

View more questions Search