Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maria3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2014, 02:29 AM
    Lien on bank account ex-husband
    My ex-husband lives in North Carolina and has current child support arrears of 9,600USD. Last May, the bank put a lien on his bank account and I received a check of 1100USD through the Child Support enforcement agency. How long does a lien last and will I ever receive the remaining balance of 9600USD? He owns a big home, has two motor cycles and two cars.

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2014, 03:37 AM
    Not from that bank account. He would be stupid, ( from his side of it) to put money into a bank account he knows, is garnished. He has opened a new account, at a new back somewhere.

You have to find it, and garnish it now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2014, 03:46 AM
    It wasn't a lien but an attachment. A lien is an encumbrance placed on an asset to prevent the asset from being transferred until the lien is satisfied.

How long the attachment lasts depends on the wording of the attachment and local law. In some cases an attachment only affects the balance at the time the attachment was served. It will have to be renewed to get more funds. In other cases, it can cover any future deposits, but like Chuck said, he would be foolish to make any future deposits.

You need to continue to work with the enforcement agency to try and collect the arrears. You cite what he owns but what about a job? Can they garnish his income?

Aug 23, 2014, 07:10 AM
    Thank you for your answers.He's retired military and currently works as a DOD civilian. We were married for 17 years and have a 13 year old daughter. Since last year, his wage has been garnished but he did not pay child support before that.So I understand I will never get the arrears, even if he can afford it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2014, 08:33 AM
    The garnishment should include a portion to pay the arrears. Or it will continue past her age of majority until the arrears are paid.

Aug 23, 2014, 12:50 PM
    Yes indeed, payments of 77USD are made towards the arrears but I was hoping to get the arrears paid in full. The divorce was extremely hard (of course as any other divorce) and still is and I want to give my daughter the best. For this, I need to get rid the lawyer's bill and other loans I had to take after the divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on Bank account. [ 0 Answers ]

How long can Child Support services tie up a bank account.

About Bank account lien. [ 23 Answers ]

Hi, I am a stay at home mom of 2 little children. My bank account showed a balance of $0 on Friday when I still had $198. I called the bank and they informed me that my bank account had a lien from a collections agency for the total of $2,380. Well, they only took $198 which was the available...

Lien on my bank account [ 9 Answers ]

I currently have a lien on my account from a debtor. This lien was issued in GA. I live in NY and can not get to GA to go to court, what should I do? What is next?

Lien on bank account [ 4 Answers ]

11 years ago my wife had some dental work. We were dating but not married at the time. An attorney bought the debt from the dentist and had worked out a payment with my wife. We had to go into bankruptcy but the trustee dismissed the case after a few months. Now the attorney has put a lien on our...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judjment lien against my bank account. What go in this account are Socical Security cheks (exempt incomes). How do I do to have this lien removed or the money freed ? Thanks.

View more questions Search