Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mayankarogers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2014, 01:25 AM
    Does floors get cupped in humid conditions
    I am planning to install hardwood floors, but I heard the floors get cupped in humid conditions. Is this true
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2014, 05:17 AM
    High Humidity Levels

If the humidity hits above 55%, you're opening up a chance for moisture to seep into the wood. Too much moisture and the floor boards could begin to swell. This swelling can create pressure between the boards, which can cause the boards to warp or cup. This is true for both solid hardwoods and engineered hardwoods. Remember, while engineered hardwoods tend to be more stable than solid hardwoods, they are still susceptible to moisture.
    Low Humidity Levels

While high moisture levels can damage your floor, it's not the only thing to watch out for. If the humidity level drops below 35%, low moisture levels can also be a problem. Low levels can cause the wood to dry out, which, in turn, could weaken the wood, causing the floor to splinter. It could also lead the floor to “check”, meaning that it could split along the grain. This can also damage the finish, which would become an issue during your regular maintenance. "

From: The Tale of Hardwood Floors & Humidity » Armstrong's The Floor Board Blog

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A humid 112 [ 2 Answers ]

3 yrs ago had refubished ac unit installed . It has maybe 30 hours on it. I use a swamp cooler(window). Now it's blowing almost cool air. Humid 112 today help:-)

Remove carpet tack strips glued to hardwood floors w/o damage to floors. [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to remove the carpeting from my daughter's bedroom. There are beautiful finished hardwood floors underneath, but instead of being nailed down, the carpet tack strips were glued. How do I remove them without doing damage to the hardwood floors?

What are the pros and cons of a floating garage floors vs monolithic garage floors? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the pros and cons of a floating garage floor vs monolithic garage floor?

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Chemical that knows how humid it is. [ 1 Answers ]

Many years ago while attending a state fair in the mid-west one vendor would give away a one inch by three inch piece of paper that had the thickness like a manila file folder. This was impregnated with a chemical on a spot about the size of a dime. It had a pink color to it and when the humidity...

View more questions Search