Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Apr 6, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Which came first: the classic riddle.
    Using basic logic and an understanding of biology, determine the following:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Explain why.

Although some people's beliefs will change the answer, look at it from a totally scientific view.

Apr 7, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I will post the answer in two days. From there, you can debate if you wish. If you have to know if you are right or not, just send me a private message with your answer.
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

Apr 7, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads

Although some people's beliefs will change the answer, look at it from a totally scientific view.
    Haven't got a clue but guess the chicken was created like adam and eve, suddenly there it was lol, and then it had a partner and then it laid a egg (is nature is it not) like eve had babies lol oh well at least I tried. Take care, love and peace anne x
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 01:56 AM
    Well I would argue, from the theory of evolution, that a nearly-chicken laid an egg contining a chicken. However, I don't know whether that would be a chicken egg (because there's a chicken inside it), or a nearly-chicken egg (because the nearly chicken laid it).

I'm leaning towards the egg being a nearly-chicken egg, and so I'll say the chicken came first. But it's not entirely logical reasoning, because there is room for interpretation, the logic isn't straightforward.
    It comes down to semantics now.
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Apr 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
    The egg came first.. The chicken from this egg was a mutation from the original species that laid the egg..
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Apr 8, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Every generation is different from its previous generation due to DNA changes caused by all different kinds of agents. So, a chicken ancestor laid an egg which hatched into a different chicken ancestor that laid an egg which hatched into a little more different chicken ancestor and that chicken ancestor laid an egg... so on and so forth until an egg was laid and when it hatched, it was a chicken! So, the egg came first, of course, before our (present day) chicken hatched out of it!

Apr 9, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Yes, the egg did come first. Good job. :)
    rocktober31 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads

Hmmm, not to sure, but if the organisms on earth started to adapt and change throughout time, that could be a clue.

Chickens' ancestors were dinosaurs, right, well, sooooo that means the chicken came first. I mean the complete now 'n' day chicken.

That's just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray 3.5 classic [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. The problem was I oversaturated the filter with oil. Now the darn thing won't start. I pull the cord and it freewheels. No putt-putt of trying to start. Did I kill it?

Murray 3.5 classic [ 1 Answers ]

I changed my filter now I have white smoke. What's the problem?

Classic cars [ 1 Answers ]

Can autos be shrink wrapped as are boats for winter storage?

Classic J-1 Visa [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I think my situation is actually an easy one. I started work in the USA as an intern under a J-1 visa in May 2005. I received my W-2 few days ago and went to H&R Block, they are asking for $150.00 to help me get a refund. I'm sure I can do it myself. Can someone just...

View more questions Search