Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butterchicken Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2014, 07:52 PM
    Earlobe piercings not healing after nearly 2 years?
    BACK STORY:
    Okay, so I am 14 at the moment, nearly 15. I got my ear lobes pierced on my 13th birthday at a pharmacy, with a gun (not that recommended, I know, but I only found out recently).

It was fine at first, I cleaned them twice a day with an antiseptic from the pharmacy without taking them out. They told me I had to wait 6 weeks, and exactly 6 weeks later, I got so excited that I could change my earrings that I took my original studs out and replaced them with a pair of $5 earrings.

That was a mistake.

I kept them in for 2 whole days and when I tried to put my studs back in it wouldn't and started bleeding (the cheap ones are thinner than the proper studs). I finally got them back in, but since then my ears have just not been right.

I got some gold sleepers (small hoops, about 16mm in diameter) and put them in instead, so that I could put on some medication and spin it easier. My dad told me to pull at the earrings slightly, to stretch the hole a bit, but it hurts.

There was some pus for a while (ugh that was gross and quite painful) but finally, earlier this year it seemed to clear up, so I tried putting in some cheap earrings again. The first time was fine, but the second time, I went to a party at my parents' friends house, and stayed there quite late. When I got home I was really tired so I took the earrings out but didn't put my sleepers back in. I slept in the next day, and when I tried to put my sleepers in sometime in the afternoon, it wouldn't. My right earlobe has been swollen slightly after this, or maybe it was earlier… I can't remember.

I decided to leave them alone for a while, and didn't spray with antiseptic or turn it for a few months, although did flick at the sleepers occasionally so that I was spinning it but not getting any germs or bacteria in it.

I tired turning my earrings in the shower a couple of days ago, and my left ear was okay, but my right ear … There was no puss, no discharge, no bleeding, no red skin, but it wouldn't turn nicely, and when I turned it 180º, the earring felt a bit sticky. It's been this way for a while now.

My mum got her ears pierced at the same time as me, but kept her studs in for almost or more than a year, I think. Now she can changer her earrings, no problem, although she doesn't wear really cheap jewellery.

I have always been pretty fast at healing, so for a while we were joking that maybe my holes were still trying to heal after a year, but since there was puss and bleeding…

ALSO:
    My right ear has always been worse than the left ear, ever since I got them pierced. I have always been careful not to leave the catch or the joint of the sleepers in my piercing hole, in case of irritation. My ears itched for a while, and I thought it was a good sign but then I realisedthat itching is a symptom of wounds healing, so then I thought, why is it trying to heal? But it doesn't itch anymore. My right earlobe hurts when I press on it. The antiseptic from the pharmacy hasn't caused any irritation with my skin, although I used a 'Dettol antiseptic wound wash spray' for a while because it had very similar ingredients and was cheaper, but it made my skin dry so I stopped using it. And I haven't been to a doctor yet.

QUESTIONS:
    What should I do? Should I leave them alone for a while, or try putting some weights on it so that the hole will stretch a bit? I read somewhere that I should clean them with a solution of sea salt and warm water, or witch hazel? Should I try going to the doctor? I can feel that the right ear is more swollen that the left around my piercing, although it doesn't look bad at all. I might have some allergic reaction to some metals, but not to the sleepers I'm wearing now, because my left ear isn't swollen at all (I got them at the same pharmacy).

Help! I want to change my earrings again, although this time I will refrain from the cheap jewellery.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2014, 01:16 AM
    You need to discuss this with your mother, who can look it it, and see more exactly the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damaged earlobe piercing [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:I got my daughters ears pierced when she was about 3months. I was trying to take off one of her earrings and some how the top part came off and went through the hole. It took off some skin from inside the hole. She is 1 1/2 and the hole is okay but it still gets red where the hole is...

How much does it cost to get your earlobe pierced [ 5 Answers ]

Hey I have ah question... I'm trying to get ah earlobe piercing next to the other wun I alreadi have... how much does it cost ? Thanks for reading & answering

Growth behind earlobe [ 2 Answers ]

Back in August of 2007 I took my 10 year old daughter to have her ears pierced. About 3 or 4 weeks after piercing she discovered a large scab that was developing behind her ear next to the hole that was pierced. It was gross looking. I mentioned to her about contacting the pediatrician but she...

Complications with Earlobe Piercing [ 11 Answers ]

I got my earlobe pierced to 14g almost 2 years ago at a professional piercer. He used a hypodermic needle straight out of it's packaging. As it was healing, I think it got infected a little bit so I used Neosporin to try and help it heal faster. I have since read that using oil based ointments can...

Healing Piercings [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got a belly button ring in the form of a barbell and, well, it's not me and I'd like to take it out. The piercing is almost two months old, I was wondering if it was going to leave a hole or if it would heal completely? Thanks!

View more questions Search