Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scared_and_Confused Posts: 41, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Cures for sore throat, possible strep?
    Well I have a very bad sore throat right now... I can barely talk! I have had this for three days, I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday to see if I have strep (which I get at least once a year) and to get on antibiotics. But till then, I want it to stop hurting so badly! I have tried the warm salt water thing, the honey in tea, cough syrup, throat spray, and cough drops, and it seems it is hurting more now than before! Does anyone have any home remedies that help with the irritation?? :o
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Oh, Hun, I feel your pain, really I do, *sniff, cough, AAAAACCCHOOOOOOOOOO*

There is nothing I found that really works I have used hot tea, milk, water, salt water gargles, everything you have tried and I have found nothing works until the antibiotics get in your system. If indeed you do have strep, antibiotics are the ONLY things that will cure it.

I am currently downing some major DayQul during the day and NyQuil at night, along with a little Aleve.

Good luck to you, and I hope you get to feeling better soon.
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 7, 2007, 10:45 PM
    Ibuprofen might help with the swelling. Hope you get better soon, :)
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Apr 9, 2007, 06:40 PM
    THanks Missk. I took some last night, helped a little bit! Thank you!
    ginaforsyth Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 12:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scared_and_Confused
    Well I have a very bad sore throat right now.... I can barely talk! I have had this for three days, I have a doctors appointment on wednesday to see if I have strep (which I get atleast once a year) and to get on antibiotics. But till then, I want it to stop hurting so badly! I have tried the warm salt water thing, the honey in tea, cough syrup, throat spray, and cough drops, and it seems it is hurting more now than before! Does anyone have any home remedies that help with the irritation??? :o
    Just to deal aleviate the pain symptom you can find a numbing agent such as orajel teething gel for babies. It tastes good and does the job of numbing everything that touches it.
    Don't use anything that has alcohol in it on your throat. That will hurt the sore areas.
    You could try gargling with a mouthful of equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water. Hydrogen peroxide is safe to gargle with or to use as a moutwash, but definitely avoid swallowing it straight. This would help your body fight the infection, but it might burn a bit. Afterwards, however, you can apply the oragel to your throat with a cotton swab. (Don't swallow hydrogen peroxide because your stomach acid is approximately 12 molar Hydrochloric Acid and I think a huge amount of hydrogen peroxide would cause some mild pain if you swallowed a bunch of it.)

Other things I would do even though I don't know how they will impact your symptoms:
    First of all remove all dairy products from your diet until you get antibiotics. Make sure you are taking vitamins. Some people refer to garlic as the poor man's penicillin. You can try crushing garlic gloves and swallowing them. Or even dicing them up and swallowing them. (as you would with an antibiotic pill) No need to gargle the garlic. I think raw garlic is more potent for the antibiotic effect and I don't know if cooked garlic will work the same. If you can take more Zinc and B-complex vitamins that will help your body to deal with sickness in general. Avoid alcoholic beverages until you are well again (alcohol depletes vitamins and minerals and dehydrates the body). Drink lots of water, in a tall glass or in tea or even just plain hot water in a coffee cup. Increasing the clear fluids will help your body to get rid of any waste that is in your blood. It's sort of like fighting a fire. When you are sick, your white blood cells do their best to attack the invaders and encapsulate the infection, then they get filtered out of your bloodstream, but the best way to get the debris OUT of your body is to increase fluids. Cut back on sugar and increase vegetables in your diet.meat is fine. Just avoid too much meat when you are sick, it takes too much energy to digest a lot of protein.
    Strep is a bacterial infection and strep bacteria is on just about all surfaces you encounter every day. Keeping up a habit of washing your hands before touching food you are preparing or about to eat is very important. Also keeping your doorknobs clean, and cleaning other things that you touch regularly, even your TV remote and computer keyboard, your car keys and your toothbrush, etc... all that stuff should be kept clean. If you get strep every year, it's a sign that you are not keeping your house clean and if your house is spotless and clutter free, then it likely that little things like your kitchen sponge or your toothbrush are not replaced often enough or merely not disinfected properly. :)
    yourmom22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
    I'm 12 and I tried avery thing its not working for me I'm have barrly eat for 5 days and I already went to the hospital
    yourmom22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 08:46 AM
    I'm 12 and I have took avery pill in the wourld they ant helping me any at all and I birley eat for 5 days
    sillykittylily Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Eat Lemon or drink a spoonful of lemon juice 2 times a day. Also hot milk with honey works + (this might sound crazy but it works) gargle with warm water with salt and listerine mixed in. FYI Listerine is a type of mouthwash!
    sillykittylily Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missk View Post
    Ibuprofen might help with the swelling. Hope you get better soon, :)
    I agree. Ibuprofen does help with swelling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strep throat after tonsillectomy? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Is it likely or possible for a person/child to get strep throat again after having a tonsillectomy? I thought "strep throat" was the same thing as "tonsillitis".. . no more tonsils, no more strep throat..?

Itchy Inner Ear and Throat [ 30 Answers ]

You know how your throat will itch way inside to the upper right or left, and you can't itch it? Well, that's what mine is doing, along with the constant itching of my inner ear. I can't reach the itch and it's driving me crazy! It's been going on for 2 days now. I also can feel my inner ear...

Cures for fibroids [ 6 Answers ]

I have two fibroids. What natural medicines can I take to get rid of them?

Wisdom tooth and sore throat [ 6 Answers ]

Yesterday my lower right wisdom tooth started hurting. It was so bad that tensing my jaw in any way, eating and talking hurt. When I got up this morning my throat was (and still is) very sore, it hurts to swallow and when itry and open my mouth it hurts, and feels Very stiff. Is this normal or am I...

View more questions Search