Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2014, 05:37 AM
    Medical reason for fear?
    Last Thursday my dog jumped in my lap shaking like she was scared. We went outside, she went potty and she went almost back to normal. The difference is she will no longer " hang out" downstairs. I didn't see anything traumatic happen to her but, I cant be totally sure. She comes down when a door opens to see who's come, or to go outside.. Once she's out, it takes her 15 min outside alone before she scratches to come in. Then she runs right upstairs and stays. She is eating drinking and goes potty like normal. She is also acting normal outside ( playing catch) and upstairs (resting on the bed and bathroom floors). Im making an appointment to see the vet but am interested in possible medical reasons for this. She's had a uti and she's swallowed a corn cob in the past few months and her er funds are exhausted. Im curious of things they will look for and how much they may cost.
    Any ideas?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2014, 07:53 PM
    Sometimes epileptic dogs will become overly clingy and needy during episodes.

A good exam with good history will be needed. Good luck at your appointment. I hope she just turned into a fraidy cat
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2014, 04:23 AM
    The appointment was uneventful. The vet just looked her over, no test. Im hoping all the bloodwork and x-rays over the past few months ruled out all things serious. She told me to play with her downstairs and give her loads of treats which seemed to be helping a little. She said if it didn't get better she would give the dog anxiety medication ( huh? I didn't know there was such a thing)

I was worried my house was falling and the dog was sensing it. That there was something going on that I didn't know about. Brat cat is normal so my house probably is too
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2014, 04:07 AM
    I wish I could tell you more. Of course some dogs are just nervous, and it can be so many things.

But I only answering here, because you are a good and responsible dog owner, So many people come with their animal in almost life threatening conditions but can not take them to a vet. ** OK, the corn cob, ( just how large is this dog?)
    But you are the type of owner, we are proud to see here.

I hope you will stay around and perhaps, answer a few questions, you may know something about.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 23, 2014, 06:39 AM
    Have you tried a thunder shirt? They are for dogs in stress. There are also homeopathic anxiety drops/pills that you can purchase to calm a dog. We use them for travel and Independence Day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any suggestions for female husky urinating? (no medical reason) [ 20 Answers ]

Adopted 4 1/2 yr old female husky from shelter, came home, fine for ~6 weeks, then urinating in house, gave urinary track infection medicine, cleared up. ~ 3 months later, re-occuring, back to vet, got another UTI perscription, but this time we took urine sample to vet the following day, was...

Tips of My Fingernails Are Bent Downwards. Could There Be a Medical Reason? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, All! The tips of most, if not all of the fingernails on either of my hands are bent down slightly. That would be from the very tip to about halfway across/up the fingernails. On some of them, it looks like they're bent down about ten, maybe even more, degrees. My assumption would be...

How long working to get unemployment medical reason [ 1 Answers ]

I may be forced to leave my job for medical reasons, after 5 or 6 months. I live in VT. Will I be eligible for unemployment benefits? I will have been employed in 3 different quarter periods, possibly 4.

Breaking Rental Lease due to Medical Reason [ 2 Answers ]

I recently found out that I am pregnant. We live in a place with stairs. My doctor has told me that it is not in my best interest to stay in this place. I have had back problems before the pregnancy and it is only going to get worse. With my doctors medical release do I have the ability to...

Unjustly terminated due to medical reason [ 2 Answers ]

I went to work for an employer March 19, 2007. This employer had 4 different bookeepers since January 1, 2007. My agreed upon work hours was 8-4:30 or 5:00 depending on lunch. The first two weeks they were so far behind (no accounting done at all since first of year, no bank reconciliations, two...

View more questions Search