Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VIDYA CUSHALAPP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 10:07 AM
    Adult troublesome son
    My adult son cannot complete his studies and lives withus .he is 28 amd blames us for all his failure .Very unhappy and threatens suicide very often .Has very few friends .loves listening to music but refuses to do anything with us parents,
    Please advise
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2014, 10:13 AM
    Why can't he complete his studies? Is he mentally challenged? Has he ever had household chores to do? Has he ever had a job and earned a paycheck? Please tell us more.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2014, 10:57 AM
    Technically.. he became an adult when he turned 18. And generally you were under no further obligation to support him. (if he's mentally challenged that can change things).

I'd start by REQUIRING him to get a job, pay you rent (even if you put it into an account you plan to give him at some point when he starts acting his age).

I'd also require him to follow house rules you set and require him to do a given set of chores.

If he failed to do any of them you are within your right to evict him from your home. It IS YOUR home... he is only a resident there. And can be evicted just like any renter would be.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 21, 2014, 07:20 AM
    Why would his parents allow this behavior?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My adult son steals from me? [ 4 Answers ]

My 27 year old son moved into a home a block away. He has a good job and a good income, but he comes into our home while we are gone and "grocery shops" from our kitchen. He takes jars of salsa, cans of tuna, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, cereal, chicken; whatever he needs. He "sneaks" the stuff...

My adult son [ 5 Answers ]

My adult son who is 21, lives home... pays rent... but won't follow a few simple rules an when I tell him if he don't like it he can move out he says" I pay rent, n recieve mail here you want me out u have to go to the court an evict me" is this true?

How do I find my adult son [ 5 Answers ]

Daniel Flores Jr. My son is 52 yrs. Old He has no middle name Born at Mercy Hospital san diego ca. August 28, 1958 Mothers name Maria Rameriz Nick name Chupy Father left at his 1 yr. birthday

My son is an adult alcoholic, what do I do [ 3 Answers ]

My son is a very smart , handsome and charismatic young man of 32 who has worked for our family business as he did not finish college and has drifted since he graduated high school. He has no girl friend but is the most friendliest guy you could meet. He has had trouble for at least 10 years and...

My adult son [ 35 Answers ]

My son is 42. I have always had a wonderful relationship with him, About 3 years ago he moved back to my state to start a business. I helped him I even worked for him and put my house up for his business.. He got rich and now he hates me. I never saw it coming. His phone is blocked and he will not...

View more questions Search