Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljen18 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Hourly employee working 2,080 hours a year, but is getting paid for just 1,920
    I am paid hourly. This year, I will work 23 days in Jan. 22 days in Feb. 22 days in March, 21 days in April, 23 days inMay, 21 days in June, 22 days in July, 23 days in Aug. 20 days in Sept. 23 days in Oct. 22 days in Nov. and 20 days in Dec. I get paid on the 1st, and the 15th of each month. My question is what months will I receive 3 week checks? I think my company is screwing me, by paying me 2-80 hour paychecks a month, for 12 months, which equals 1,920 hours a year, which in fact I am working 2080 hours a year. Please help.
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
    If you are getting paid for 80 hours twice a month , yes they are cheating you out of pay. If you are being paid by the hour I can not understand why they don't pay you every two weeks. Then you would get 3 checks several times a year. I would speak with your payroll person and have her/him explain it to you. If you have been cheated, most states have a dept of labor or some other agency that can help you recoup the wages you did not get paid.
    Good Luck
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 08:53 PM
    There are on average 4.3 weeks in a month.. So each month your getting shorted that much pay. You seem to have a handle on it, so go in and speak with your payroll person.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Ok, you are not getting paid hourly if you get the same pay each payday, that would be salary, if between the 15th and the 1st, there are different days, more hours some months, less other months, There are 13 calender days on months with 28 days, and there are 16 calender days for months with 31 days. So depending on which paycheck that comes on, one paycheck would vary each month.

If you are always paid on the 1st and the 15th you NEVER get a 3rd check, only the amount you receive on the checks will vary each check by hours. If you are paid hourly, then you tract your hours ( not yearly) but between starting and ending pay period for each pay period, and then the next check you should be paid that amount of hours.

If you are being paid the same amount each check, are you sure you are not a salary employee?
    luckyone24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 06:26 PM
    If you are correct about being paid by the hour, then YES, you are being underpaid. My company also pays me 2 paychecks each month or 24 paychecks each year. We are paid for 86.66 hours on each paycheck, which multiplied by the 24 paychecks, is 2080 hours each year.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 02:32 PM
    luckyone24, this thread is a year old...
    chew0nthat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyone24 View Post
    If you are correct about being paid by the hour, then YES, you are being underpaid. My company also pays me 2 paychecks each month or 24 paychecks each year. We are paid for 86.66 hours on each paycheck, which multiplied by the 24 paychecks, is 2080 hours each year.
    Luckyone, how would you calculate your weekly gross if you are on a 2080 payroll?
    precious120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
    You should be getting paid for 11 days some pay periods and 10 days the other pay period, if you are paid the 15th and the and last day of the month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abuse of Exempt (Salary) status [ 1 Answers ]

My husband works for a company that pays him salary. He is a general manager with this company. He is working anywhere from 60 to 70 hours a week. I had read somewhere that if a person is salary that they must work at least 50% of their time doing manager work. He is doing at least 70% of...

FICA Tax must paid by employer or Employee? Is there any excemption in it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am on H1B visa , working in GA. 1. does the FICA tax needs to be paid by the employer or by employee? 2. is there any exemption based on annual income? If yes what should be the yearly income to get rid of FICA tax? I am curious to know the answer for these Payroll...

Working from France and paid in the US [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I worked in the US until April 13, 2006 under a H1-B visa. Because my visa expired, I went back to France but kept working for the same American compagny (from a computer at home). I am still getting paid on my American bank account. My tax status was changed to "x" (non-Resident Alien...

First year choice for H1-B employee [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on August 15 on H1-B. Since then I am in US only and will be there for full 2007 year. I understood that I need to file 1040NR for my income for year 2006. But I heard there is something first year choice through which I can file 1040 as resident to take advantage of deduction....

Salary Vs. Hourly [ 5 Answers ]

I understand the difference between exempt and non-exempt and how to actually pay them, but are there any legal ramifications for not paying someone that is salary for a sick day if they have exhausted all of their paid time off benefits? Toni Davis [email protected]

View more questions Search