Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JAC53 Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2014, 08:49 AM
    GoFlex external Hard drive help
    I get beeping sound from hard drive, replaced usb cable, power adapter, I open hard drive head is at home position not stuck on disk. When powering up head moves towards disk and then backs constantly and beeping.

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

JAC
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2014, 04:05 AM
    I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but if you opened the hard drive case, such that you can see the head and platter, it is ruined. These things are assembled in a clean-room environment because any dust particles are larger than the distance between the platter and the head.

On a positive note, it sounds as though it was not working when you opened it anyway.

Sorry,
    WallyH
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2014, 04:27 AM
    I agree with Wally. With external drives as cheap as they are, better to just replace it.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Aug 21, 2014, 06:59 AM
    There are two parts to an external hard drive, the drive itself and the Sata/IDE to USB controller that allows the drive to be connected via USB. You should not have opened the drive but you might still recover data if you can put the drive in another external adapter and the problem was the controller and not the drive.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2014, 08:39 AM
    I have a couple of those GoFlex drives... I didn't know they could beep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To upgrade a ps3 is it possible to use a new hard drive and external drive bay? Thanks. [ 0 Answers ]

... is it possible to use a new hard drive and external drive bay instead of using a external hd to transfer data? Thanks in advance.

External Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

I am using an Inspiron 1525, Vista. When I plug in external hard drive "My Passport" drive E, I cannot see it under "computer". It shows up under Disk Management as "healthy" and shows up under Device Manager as "working normally". I have been having problems with it lately for the last month, but...

I've moved the contents of my C: drive to my external hard drive. No OS found. [ 1 Answers ]

I was having some problems with my cpu usage so a friend told me to empty out my c: drive onto an external hdd. I did and it worked. But an hour later it shut down and when I tried to start it up it said no OS found. Is there any way to get it working again? I don't have a windows 7 CD to...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search