Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Midwest DIY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2014, 07:46 AM
    Hot tub wiring clarification
    Hello,

I have a 240 volt hot tub to hook up and have a few questions. I have about a 120' total run from the main disconnect and planned on using 6/3 NM-B from the main through the interior of the house to the GFI Spa panel outside, then about #6 THWN to the tub itself.

This is where I'm a little confused. Its about 65' from the main to the basement wall that goes under my deck, then another 10' under the deck until where the Spa disconnect will be located. I was under the impression that I cannot run the NM-B wire in conduit the last 10' under the deck because that is only rated for interior use. So what can I do to keep it legal and up to code between the basement wall and the Spa disconnect under the deck?

Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 16, 2014, 07:55 AM
    First question is, "What is the amperage draw of the hot tub".

Over 100' you should take voltage drop into consideration.
    Midwest DIY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2014, 08:37 AM
    Manufacture suggests a 50 amp breaker; it's a 40 amp draw on start up with pumps and heater running.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Aug 27, 2014, 06:36 PM
    The NM-B would run to the inside of the exterior wall, to a junction box. From there ridged conduit with #6 THWN would run out the wall and to the Spa disconnect (I'm slightly concerned here. You say a total of 120', and based on your numbers, the Spa disconnect is 45' from the spa. The Spa disconnect MUST be visible from the spa, and some municipalities have a limitation as to how far away it can be).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a hot tub [ 2 Answers ]

When wiring a hot tub, do u always have to have a disconnect

Clarification for how to fix sudden loss of hot water pressure in the bath tub [ 8 Answers ]

I have suddenly lost hot water pressure in my bathtub only. I have seen this answer asked by others on here and I think my problem is sediment or something stuck in the line/valve. When I turn my single knob handle to hot, I can hear pipe rattle and groan. Speedball1 has answered the qestion a...

Wiring a hot tub [ 2 Answers ]

My hot tub was wired for a 240V line in the previous owners location. Looking at the wiring diagram, and in the control box itself, I see that it can be fitted with a 120V line instead (provided the 120V line is on it's own circuit). The manual I have is generic so it doesn't go into how to...

Hot tub wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I had a pool put in and there was already an extisting hot tub that had a box in the middle of my backyard. When a tractor was digging the hole for the pool, it ripped the eletrical underground wiring. Does anyone know about how much it costs to re wire and put in a new eletrical box?

Hot Tub wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I installed a gfi breaker at the main box but wanted to double check my work. The neutral white wire from breaker goes to the ground bar. But does the solid copper ground lead go their also? Thanks

View more questions Search