Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krm0384 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2014, 01:59 PM
    How to efficiently cool a two story home if top story not used?
    We only use the top floor for guests but we noticed that this week when we had guest over the downstairs stayed cooler (the rooms that get air last were much cooler) because we were cooling the upstairs what is the appropriate way to efficiently cool upstairs and down what temp should we set upstairs to if downstairs is 76?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 02:04 PM
    It is obvious to me, because I know nothing about this, that cooling the upstairs would require more vents. Or your AC is not big enough to do the job for your house. What is your square footage ? And, by upstairs do you mean a second floor, or a third ?
    bitters Posts: 348, Reputation: 12

Aug 14, 2014, 02:10 PM
    Do you have 2 units and 2 thermostats?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2014, 02:13 PM
    Because cold air is denser and falls, you can typically set the upstairs at temp you want and lower floors a couple of degrees higher-assuming you have 2 units or at least zone controlled.

Aug 14, 2014, 02:25 PM
    There are two units ant two thermostats main floor ( downstair) is 2000 sq ft upstairs 2nd level is 1500 sq ft upstairs unit is smaller than main floor

Aug 14, 2014, 03:03 PM
    Was the temperature down stairs cooler than the set point on the thermostat?

Aug 15, 2014, 01:52 AM
    No but the rooms that are usually hot were at the set point temp

Aug 15, 2014, 12:19 PM
    Do you shut off upstairs unit when it is unoccupied? If so, I would leave it on all the time and set it to 82*.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Twisted love story or not-such-a-sad-story? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been going out with my boyfriend for nearly 2 years now. Its been my first long term relationship and I have learnt a lot about love. In the past I was a big flirt and was never shy around boys. I only went on dates and hada few men chasing me. (not trying to sound too big headed) But this...

Please help me : an horror story but true story [ 5 Answers ]

Please this is only 1/3 of the actual story: Hi all. I ve worked at several financial institutions , this one being a pretty large bank in America. In the years I have been there we had been going through a lot of management changes. Please note: I didn't know anyone that worked there other than...

Does anyone know a really cool alternate story for Cinderella? [ 5 Answers ]

I want a new type of rendition of Cinderella because I think the old story is sooooo lame! Lets get something new up in this joint :)

Single hvac for 2 story home [ 6 Answers ]

We are looking at purchasing a new home. Is a single system enough to cool a 2900 sq ft 2 story home? It looks like it is a newer (and large) 13 seer unit. Is it possible to convert an older home (20+ years) to zoned? Thank you! Al

Efficiently Cooling 2 Story House [ 17 Answers ]

To start, I'm 100% not technical or mechanically inclined (you'll learn quickly when you read this). I have a 2 story house with finished basement and beating my head against the wall figuring out, if anything, that I can do to keep the top floor cool without making the main floor and basement...

View more questions Search