Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bgvl2767 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2014, 06:48 PM
    I want to adopt my step child.
    I wanted to adopt my step child. The biological dad is on birth certificate, but he passed away. Can I adopt my step child? I live in Denver, Colorado?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 12, 2014, 07:14 PM
    That depends on a lot of things. I would say usually this should be no problem. However, if the biological father's family has a shared custody agreement or visitation rights, it may be more difficult.

You need to talk to a family law attorney in your area to make sure that all of the details are taken care of correctly. I always tell people that while you can set a bone without a doctor, it's still a really good idea to see one. Same thing with adoption--you CAN do adoption proceedings without a lawyer, but I would never recommend doing it that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My step child wants me to adopt him [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married a little over one year - my stepson- whom I've known for over 3 years - wants me to adopt him- I would love to do this - My wife is also on board-His biological father is dead- How do I proceed ?

How can you adopt your step child if the father won't sign off his rights [ 9 Answers ]

How can you adopt your step child if the father won't sign off his rights? My xhusband won't sign off his rights to our daughter he doesn't see her call her nothing he does email me every so many months but doesn't ask about her he is in an out of jail all the time and he is using very hard drugs...

Can a step Mother adopt her husband child? [ 3 Answers ]

Am Married for 10 Years, My Husband and I Could have children of our own, so he travel to another country where he get a lady pregnant. Which he want me to race the baby. My question to you is, Is it posible for me to travel to another country and bring my husband baby back in my country and ...

Step parent adopt child when he is married to mother with full custody [ 1 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter. Her father barely calls her when he does it's about once a month and he tells her jokes. She is 6 will be 7 in April. He does pay child support. He is active duty in the Army stationed in Germany I don't know where he is exactly because he remarried and moved...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search