Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sherylann08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2014, 06:25 PM
    Dog's penis dripping blood when he gets excited
    I have a 2 year old Olde English Bulldog, whose penis has been dripping blood the last couple of days when he gets excited. It's happening when I come home from work. He is nurtured and has been to the vet and tested negative for a UTI and crystals. The vet said his urine sample was perfectly healthy. She said to keep an eye on it and keep it clean using baby wipes and if the bleeding keeps up to bring him back.
    Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thank you!

Sheryl
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 13, 2014, 06:16 AM
    Since you have been to vet I would follow what vet says. One thing that struck out at me could the sheath be too small for his penis to come out? I was told my dog's was too small and if it did not fix itself as he grew she may need to go in and cut it. Now if you are positive it is coming from the penis then that may not be it. One good indicator of that would be if his penis seems to stay out too long. Just a suggestion. I would keep following up with vet and make as much notes as you can about when it happens, how long etc
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2014, 04:38 PM
    Is your dog neutered?
    Time to head back. Could be a lot of things, like balanitis or balanoposthitis, which are inflammations of the penis or prepuce. It could also be inflammation of the prostate. Could also be something more serious like neoplasia. It's time to do further testing.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2014, 05:18 PM
    Sariss, I may be wrong, but I do think this may have been a typo on the OP's part:

He is nurtured
    I figured she meant neutered. Then again, she may have actually meant nurtured, it is a real word. :)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2014, 05:40 PM
    Apparently, I am just blind. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2014, 05:45 PM
    Not necessarily Sariss. She really could mean that the dog is nurtured. Who knows? I read it and thought "neutered" spelled wrong. But I've been wrong before. It wouldn't be the first time. ;)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2014, 06:48 PM
    Does he normally leak when excited? Has he eaten any food or drank anything with red dye? That could turn his urine red.

The UA is clear, did they send off a culture? Sometimes there is bacteria that cannot be seen on a regular microscope.

I would not be satisfied with a vet telling me to 'just watch it' if my dog was leaking red, blood-like fluid. I would get a second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can we get our dog to stop peeing whenever she gets excited? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old female Cocker/Springer Spaniel and every time we let her in the house she pees all over. It's instantaneous. She gets so excited she just pees. She pees as she walks, she pees as she runs, etc. Thank god we have hard wood floors. We have ruled out urinary tract infections,...

My dog, a 7year old crossbreed, was dripping blood from his penis. Vet said nothing [ 12 Answers ]

My dog, a 7year old crossbreed, was dripping blood from his penis. Vet said nothing wrong and this is probably happening as there's a female dog on heat in the area, and he's getting aroused. When I stroke his head, he again starts dripping blood... Anyone with similar problems, or shall I speak...

How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he is excited? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog sees me and gets excited and sometimes will pee no matter where he is. Is there any way to brake him of this?

How do I stop my dog from peeing when she's excited? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old female Pit Bull and she gets really excited and pees when we come in the house, it isn't a constant thing and she'll go right to her bed when she does it because she knows its bad but I've tried not looking at her but she's just happy watching us walk in the door and then she...

My dog shihtzu bleed blood from his penis occasionally [ 2 Answers ]

Why is my dog bleeding some blood and then droplets of urines from his penis at times?

View more questions Search