Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bgilbert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2014, 07:02 AM
    Help Responding to a Motion and preparing a motion to dismiss in Maine Family Court
    I settled the custody case 18 months ago after 3 different cases were opened over a 5 year time frame by my ex-girlfriend involving visitation and support. The case 18 months ago was a move case where we settled allowing my ex to move my daughter from Massachusetts to Waterville, Maine (near family) I have well defined visitation. 6 months later my ex files for more child support in Massachusetts judge tosses it out.

So now 1 year since the last case she has filed a motion in Maine family courts stating 2 circumstances have changed substantially since 1/14/13:
    1. Rights of contact or visitation with minor child
    2. Child Support, file and exchange FM-050, child support affidavit

I am out of money and can't afford another lawyer I have paid 4 retainers in 6 years worth well over 30-40k and I have a wife and another child.

Questions:
    I reside in Mass she resides in Maine with my daughter, the case originated in MA.
    1. How do I write a motion to dismiss her motion? Any examples?
    2. How do I respond to her motion, any examples?
    3.. Since child support stays in the MA courts do I need to give the Maine courts a Child Support Affidavit? Am I correct at saying the child support order can not be changed by Maine only by Massachusetts?
    4. It has only been 1 year since she last filed for more child support in MA and that case was tossed by the judge can she really ask for more money already?
    5. Are then any resources that offer free or low cost legal assistance in Maine?
    6. Is there anything I can do so I don't have to go to Maine regularly for Mediation and pre-trial conference, any type of hardship I can file with the courts? I work full-time providing for 2 families, the drive to Maine is 3 hrs each way and $15 dollars in tolls each way.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 12, 2014, 08:18 AM
    You need to move to dismiss the Maine case. The basis of your motion would be that the matter has already been decided by the Massachusetts courts, and that there have been no changed circumstances.

If you cannot afford a Maine attorney to do this you will have to figure out how to do it yourself.

By the way, the UCCJEA is the law in Maine (but not in Mass. the last time I looked, however Mass. Has a similar statute). What this means is that the Maine court doesn't have jurisdiction to change custody or visitation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2014, 08:36 AM
    As AK noted, under the UCCJEA, as long as one parent remains in the jurisdiction of the original order, the jurisdiction remains there. In other words, MA retains jurisdiction so the Maine court has none. Family Courts tend to be less formal than other courts. So filing a motion simply stating that Maine has no jurisdiction since the case was originally ruled on by MA courts and that you remain an MA resident. I would include a copy of the last MA order to show that visitation has been established and adhered to.

You can add that you refute that visitation has changed. As to the other circumstance, you don't provide details, so its unclear what the motion is.

Does she have an attorney?
    I would check with local law schools. Many run clinics that will help you prepare paperwork and strategy.

You can request that you appear by phone if appearance is necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know the court filed my Motion to Dismiss? [ 4 Answers ]

How long does the petitioner have to file an opposition to motion to dismiss? Everything seems to say within 14 days of return date. Is that the return date for the original complaint, or the dismissal hearing date? And how do I know if the court filed my dismissal. It was sent to the court clerk...

Motion to dismiss mothers motion for modification of child support [ 4 Answers ]

I filed a motion pro se, to modify child support based on a few issues.One is his attorney did the child support guidelines sheet and added to my income and subtracted from his on the same line. 2) he didn't include bartering I recently found out about and can prove 3) I was never provided with his...

How to file with the court a motion to dismiss a writ [ 2 Answers ]

My bank account is frozen due to a judgement awarded to a creditor. Court papers say I need to file a replevy bond. How do I do this?

Motion to dismiss Florida family law [ 12 Answers ]

I am looking for a sample motion to dismiss for lack of disclosure (zero disclosure) as well as petitioner not signing, nor having notarized the supplemental petition for modification of child - in Florida. I have looked on the web and am unable to find a sample. I would appreciate if anyone...

Filing a motion to dismiss in family court [ 10 Answers ]

I need to file a motion to dismiss or quash.I can only find forms to be used by county government.Here's the skinny. Case is (brought by county cs dept.) child support only case. The custody case is in a different county and I am the petitioner and she is the respondent in that case.Child support...

View more questions Search