Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zman64 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2014, 11:24 AM
    Problems with Desktop turning on
    Recently I installed a new power supply in my desktop. Now when I turn it on the fans run ultra fast (faster than they've ever run before) and the monitor turns on says it has no active video connections and goes to sleep. If I let it run it will repeat this process. Sometimes after repeating this once or twice it will settle down and start up. Other times the new power supply has a switch on it and if I pop it off then on it will boot up. Either way when it does boot up the computer gives one single beep and the screen says something along the line of "default bios loaded checksum issue". I have checked and rechecked all my connections/ plugs not sure what's going on. Maybe motherboard? Once its on it seems to operate normally. Please help. Thanks!
    Some background for my PC... Its about 3-4 years old and about a month and a half ago I updated the GPU which has been running wonderfully. Other than the power supply I just put in no changes have been made.
    Specs:
    HP Pavilion Elite Case
    Asus Pegatron IPMTB-TK (Truckee) Motherboard (cant find anything on this mobo)
    Intel Core I7 950 quad core processor 3.07GHZ
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive
    12 GB DDR3-1066 MHz SDRam (6 Dimms)
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Audio Card
    Geforce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2 3GB GDDR5 Video Card
    Corsair HX 650watt
    Bluray Drive Brand?
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2014, 01:02 PM
    I didn't think i7s have been around 3-4 years, but I could be wrong on that. In any case, are you sure the motherboard can handle the power supply?

Aug 11, 2014, 04:09 PM
    Well as I said I cant seem to find any manuals or anything on this motherboard and in hunting around the net it seems I am not the only one with this problem. Are motherboard only rated for so much power? It has a 24 pin main and a 4 pin for the CPU if that helps... P.S. I bought this new 3 1/2 years ago time flies
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2014, 04:11 AM
    Yes motherboards are rated for a minimum and a maximum power supply.

I had no problem finding info about the board. Took me less than a minute:
    Motherboard Specifications, IPMTB-TK (Truckee) | HP® Support

Unfortunately this doesn't list Power supply capacity. So try contacting HP.

Aug 13, 2014, 09:16 AM
    Unfortunately HP wasn't much help however I posted on their forum and browsed the topics there since the motherboard is a HP product and my power supply that I installed has been used by other users with no problems and even higher watts have been used to no ill effect. So I believe that the motherboard is OK for the power I have given it. Any other suggestions? Thank so much!
    PS to Scottgem I had found this board around the net but no specs on it but what you found had abit on it good find and thanks! :)
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2014, 06:33 PM
    Open up the PC case and examine the capacitors to see if any are bulging at the sides or the tops are raised instead of flat. The erratic start is a common symptom of bad caps. Changing the power supply may have just instigated this. Furthermore you may try re-seating all of the connectors to make sure they are connected properly.

Have the power supply tested. There are some things that go wrong with power supplies that some motherboards tolerate and others do not, such as PSON/OFF delays. A PC shop can test in minutes.

The BIOS checksum error is generally caused by the BIOS RAM being reset, there is usually a battery on the motherboard that keeps its memory active. You may need to replace this. If you turn the switch on the power supply off then the battery would be the only source of voltage and if it is inadequate then it will result in a checksum error.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems turning water back on in summer camp [ 3 Answers ]

Recently had water turned back on at the main in our summer camp. Toilets refilled, hot water heater refilled... all worked as planned. Turned on faucet in kitchen(well... wife did) and air in the system literally broke the head off the sprayer. Now no water at all in kitchen. Kohler Revival...

Have problems with mouse on Zt desktop [ 1 Answers ]

My Zt desktop mouse some times works and sometimes can't open anything by right mouse button.Have to resort to click on program and then click on play or run to get app to open.Have reloaded software 2 times,but problem always shows back up.Zt tech support has not been a lot of help.Last call to...

Problems with submersible pumps not turning off [ 3 Answers ]

Pump not turning off even when system pressurised

Problems saving/creating to Desktop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All. I recently purchased a laptop: Acer Aspire 1692WLMi Windows XP Professional SP2 I was using navigating to C:\Documents and Settings\Eyecu\Downloads (is where I store all my downloads for easy access) when my finger brush the touchpad(mousepad), dragging the Desktop folder...

View more questions Search