Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dianem604 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2014, 10:58 AM
    Former graduate of Control Data Institute of NYC trying to locate records
    I attended the Control Data Institute vocational school in New York City around 1987 to 1988 and received certification in Computer Engineering. This school has since closed down.

I'm trying to locate where I can obtain a record of my ever attending that school. I've already contacted someone at the New York State Education Department who told me that although they have some records for Control Data they don't have any for the New York City school. I don't know where else to turn. This was a pretty big school in it's day and I can't believe that it's this hard to locate my existence of ever attending there.

Can you help?

Thanks.

DIane
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 11, 2014, 11:46 AM
    Usually, I would advise students to contact the Department of Education in the state where the school was located, because closed schools are required to still have a way to retain transcripts, and usually the state takes over that duty, or assigns it to another school who can process the transcript requests. However, if you've already tried that, I'm somewhat at a loss.

Was the school bought by another school or institute at any point? If so, the company that bought the school may have the transcripts. I find it interesting that the NYBE doesn't know where those transcripts are, not even to give you a hint of where to look, though I have seen this happen with other schools as well.

Interestingly (from my point of view), I worked at Brown College, which was at one point located in the building that Seymour Cray designed for Cray Research. This is relevant only in that he had worked for Control Data Corporation, which is the company that established the CDI schools.

My best advice to you is to try contacting other states that had CDI schools to see if they hold the NY transcripts. You could also contact Ceridian, which is the company which currently operates the former CDC businesses. While that's a long shot, they may actually know who holds the transcripts.

Sorry I can't give you more help than this. I have gone through the frustration of trying to find records for a closed school before, and know that it's enough to make you tear your hair out. Hopefully I at least gave you some new directions to look. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Certificate/Diploma from Control Data Institute of Technology [ 1 Answers ]

I attended Control Data Institute's Inglewood campus (actually located in City of Los Angeles) from 1983 to 1985 and have lost my certificate of completion. Where can I get a copy? The school closed down a number of years ago. Thank you!

Institute For Holistic Studies, Santa Barbara CA graduate 1983 [ 0 Answers ]

I must retrieve my Institute For Holistic Studies transcripts ID #09128301, certified December 1983 so I may obtain license and permit to practice.

Lost Certificate word processing secretary1972 from Control Data Institute [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please help me find or get a copy of my certificate in word processing secretary training program in 1972 from Control Data Institute in St. Louis, Missouri? Thank you so much. Ruth >personal contact info removed per site rules<

Lost Certificate/Diploma from Control Data Institute Chicago [ 1 Answers ]

Lost my Certificate from Control Data Institute Chicago. Attended in 1985/86, Records from Springfield only show my transcripts but do not have a copy of my certificate of completion for Computer Programming. Looking for another student or Teacher that attended during that time. Could you point me...

Lost Certificate/Diploma from Control Data Institute of Technology [ 1 Answers ]

I misplaced a certificate/diploma I received from Control Data Institute of Technology (in NYC, NY) for an electronics engineering program I attended from 1976 through 1977. The school closed down several years ago and I've been unable to find a way to acquire my transcripts or a replacement...

View more questions Search