Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ciprimm23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2014, 08:16 PM
    Water leaking under french doors.
    The other day I noticed that my laminate flooring was swollen below one side of my french doors, leading me to believe that water is getting in. Both doors are operable and swing in. The doors do have an adjustable threshold. When shutting the doors, you do have to push firmly because of the tight seal, so I'm not sure the threshold is the issue. However, when it rains the adjusting part of the threshold is wet when I open the door, which I don't think it should be being that the seal should cover it. I opened both doors today and noticed that at the hinge area of the left door there was staining from water. This is the same area where the flooring is swollen. I have never seen any water on top of the flooring or leaking through even during rain. It's underneath. Yes there is flashing all the way around the door. I installed gutters above the door today hoping that it would help keep water off the door sill. Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2014, 05:12 AM
    Gutter should help but what is the surface immediately outside the door? If it is a patio, does the patio slope down away from the house?
    Also, check for problems inside below the door. Comments based on my experience with a similar situation and finding serious problems with joists below the door, all caused by a patio built level instead of sloped away from the house. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

French patio doors leaking at bottom [ 1 Answers ]

During heavy rainfalls, my french patio doors leak water from the bottom which is pooling just inside of the house.

How to insulate french doors [ 8 Answers ]

We have six sets of french doors around part of the first floor of our house. They are single pane glass. When it gets cold (like now!), this place stays colder than it should. Are there storm doors made for french doors (72 x 81).

Exterior french doors [ 4 Answers ]

I am renovating a house that I just bought and want to put in french doors in place of an 8 foot patio slider. I am trying to price them online so that I know that the contractor is giving me an appropriate price-since I live about 2,000 miles from where the work is being done. I can't seem to...

French Doors [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site and it looks pretty good to me. My French doors will not lock. I had foundation repaired. Also had the doors stained and waterproofed and locks won't match up. Who do I call, a Door repair person or a locksmith? Thanks Akia

Replacing French Doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have French Doors in my living room leading to the backyard that also includes a third stationary door that won't open. I'm attaching a rough picture of what it looks like. I would like to get rid of at least one of these and possibly even replace two so that there is just a single...

View more questions Search