Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    track star Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Advantage and disadvantage
    I am doing an assignment on unions. What are some advantages of being in a union? And What are some disadvantages of being in a union?
    carolh Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2007, 01:00 PM
    I noticed there is another person asking the same question. Are you in the same class?

Advantage of being in a labor union is that you are covered under a bargaining agreement (contract). There are usually steps that have to be followed for an employer (company) to discipline or fire you. If you are not in a union, you are considered an "at will" employee and you can be fired without given a reason. You do not have to beg for your own raises or benefits. They are spelled out in the contract. They cannot be taken away unless you union bargains them away in a contract negotiation. You have seniority which may get you a promotion even if someone is more qualified for a position. If you are working for a company who is unfair, your unit as a whole can do a work slow down or shut down. If you were not in a union and could not organize a group to do so, you would be ineffective on your own fighting a company. Some unions provide insurance and pensions and other benefits to their members.

Disadvantages of being in a labor union is that you have to go along with the majority. When a contract is being negotiated if the majority votes for it, you are stuck with it like it or not. You may not get a promotion because of seniority even if you have more knowledge and education for a position. If another union is on strike, as a union member you cannot cross the picketline.

Does that help?
    marykroma1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Comment on carolh's post
    I need more information. Answer to short.
    ennaxor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Comment on carolh's post
    Because of I don't know
    vb0404 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 06:39 AM
    What is the advantage and disadvantage of working for a work-owned firm?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother In Law taking advantage of us [ 8 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I love each other very much and we have a wonderful little boy called Alex who is now three (I am 34 and she is 25). Her mum looked after Alex for well over a year as both of us worked. We paid her £300pcm for that as she had bus fares to pay for from her house to ours, which she...

Taking advantage or what? [ 10 Answers ]

So I got this job a little over 3 months ago through a temp agency, when I interviewed they said I would be a receptionist/ admin assist. I do NOT do any reception or admin assist. I am in the shipping dept. handling mail and shipping and receiving. When I started working they offered me $13, which...

How do I use Back Taxes to my advantage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Curtis and I live in Michigan. My two brothers and I are starting a partnership to buy houses cheap and flip them for profit. We know there is a way to pick up houses with back taxes on them for cheap. However, none of us have experience doing this. I was wondering if you...

How to locate and take advantage of opprtunities around me? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a big problem. People who are less educated than me, those who don't work as hard as me, those who are not as devoted as me grow and make progress. But I always lag behind. This surprises not only me but to my friends and relatives too. Sometimes I even become a laughing stock or a person to...

View more questions Search