Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wcoats Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2014, 07:33 AM
    Is income or dividends from 401k calculated in child support
    Is income from 401k gains or dividends considered income as pertaining to child support
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2014, 12:20 PM
    In most states any form of income is included in the calculation.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 11, 2014, 06:53 AM
    I agree with cdad- generally child support guidelines include any source of funds available to the parent .

http://family.findlaw.com/child-support/child-support-determining-parents-income.html
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 12, 2014, 04:46 AM
    Just to be clear - you ask about "401k gains or dividends," but I think that you meant "401k distributions," correct? If you are not taking distributions from your 401k then you have no income from it, even though the value of the account may be increasing due to gains, dividends, interest etc from the underlying investments in the account. The account itself is considered an asset, and the portion acquired during the marriage is considered a marital asset that normally gets split 50:50 between the two ex-spouses when they divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Oregon is it Household Income or Income of Parent when determining Child Support [ 1 Answers ]

In the State of Oregon is it Household Income or Individual Income when determining whether Child Support Payments should be eliminated, I remarried but my new husband does not pay for any of my children's education or expenses from my previous marriage?

401k as income for child support [ 14 Answers ]

I reside in Michigan, my husband and I divorced 6 years ago, since then he has taken me to court a surplus of times to try to ruin me with lawyer fees. I was awarded 50% of the 401k in the settlement. Since then I have had to withdrawl fund to live off and pay all the fees associated with the...

Child support and 401k [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, my question is a little different than most. My ex and I get along great, but my job has had a reduction in hours and it is getting hard to make a living. I am not in arrears but I am going broke. I pay a weekly amount that will never go up or down. We know how much I will owe by the time...

401k, divorce, considered income calculating support [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My MI divorce was final in 2007 and part of the agreement included a QDRO for 50% of my 401k to her. She cashed in the 401k to use as a down payment on her house. I understand that cashing in the 401k is considered income during filing of taxes, but is it also considered income for child...

View more questions Search