Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MikeysGrrrl Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2014, 07:27 AM
    Tiny red brown worms found on plastic in closet
    My husband was looking through our closet when he happened to notice these tiny red brown things wriggling around on some plastic bags. They seem quite small, almost like loose tobacco, they look like teeny tiny worms. We didn't see them anywhere else in the room, only on those bags.

What could these be? Should we be worried? What should we do?
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 10, 2014, 08:19 AM
    Those look to be larvae of a dermestid beetle, quite likely a hide beetle or larder beetle.

These are hide beetle grubs

Attachment 46422

This is a larder beetle grub
    Name:  larder larvae.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  9.6 KB

Do either of those look similar?
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 10, 2014, 08:24 AM
    I hate this attachment tool.

Try again

Name:  hide beetle larva.jpg
Views: 21129
Size:  20.3 KB

Aug 10, 2014, 09:15 AM
    I don't think it looks like either of those, they are so tiny it's really hard to see anything distinguishing about them, except they almost appear to have like a clear casing over the coloured bodies, and some seem to look like them have little ends on them. I can't get our camera to take closer shots without completely distorting them and putting them out of focus.
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 10, 2014, 10:37 AM
    Nonetheless, a deep cleaning of that closet to remove dead insects and other food sources would be advisable. Other than that, there shouldn't be any cause for concern.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Aug 15, 2014, 09:30 PM
    They look like flea larvae. Do you have a cat or dog?

https://www.google.com/search?q=flea...h=610#imgdii=_

Aug 15, 2014, 09:34 PM
    Yes we have 2 cats and after some extensive research we concluded that you are correct, it is in fact flea larvae. Our kitten liked to sleep in our closet area and we noticed her scratching a lot, so we have done massive cleaning in the house and on both cats so we can nip this in the bud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help have worms look like maggots but brown [ 1 Answers ]

I have found little spots of these dark brown ringed looks like maggots in my house

Tiny brown bugs in kitchen and found in dry foods [ 1 Answers ]

I have seen these tiny brown bugs that are smaller than a grain of rice (seems one whole body part without wings) in my dry pastas, breads and crawling in cabinets. I did put some bay leaves down in the cabinet which the bread is in, and so far they have not gone back but are still prominent else...

Found worms in my friend's dog poo [ 1 Answers ]

My bestfriend's dog just pooped and there were worms in it. Trying to find out if anyone knows what kind they are so that she can try and treat them. They are flat, very pale pink.

How to get rid of small brown worms found everywhere in our house? [ 2 Answers ]

They show up everywhere. Have been seeing these nasty, maybe 1 in. brown worms in our house and am wondering if it's dangerous for our dog and if we need to call a bug guy of some sort to get rid of them. HELP!

Tiny worms in the couch [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have an old couch of my parents. We put couch covers on them and things have been fine until I found tiny tiny 3 mm long worms under the couch cushions! :eek: They are about as skinny as a fine hair and there were hundreds of them crawling around on the couch cover--not on the...

View more questions Search