Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Francy51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2014, 10:05 AM
    Coast to coast riding mower briggs & srtatton engine
    Hi! As you can see by the title I have an old riding mower that I am having problems with. It has been running great! Until the oil got changed, an gas leak was fixed and I ran of gas the first time mowing with it after the repairs. It cranks just fine but will not start, so I replaced the spark plug and still nothing. I am going to go get a new air filter for it but, does anyone have any other suggestions for me other than this? I have a feeling it is going to be more than the air filter. Lol! Thank you!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2014, 10:15 AM
    Does it get a spark... is it getting fuel (is the plug wet?)
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 9, 2014, 06:11 PM
    Hi,
    You have an MTD machine that uses a gravity-fed fuel system. One of the strangest things I have seen in my many years working of outdoor power equipment is that running a machine out of fuel can be one of the worst things you can do on an engine with a float-style carburetor. It is not intuitive, but it is logical when explained. Things may work great for years but when the machine is run out of fuel, the last thing it does is suck all the trash that has collected over the years in the bottom of the tank into the carb. A good carb cleaning is in order and a new fuel filter.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and Stratton riding mower engine [ 10 Answers ]

Some of the gears in the fly wheel are chipped which interferes with starting the engine, how hard is it to replace the flywheel?

Coast spas [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Coast Spas hot tub model XML40. I am trying to find the name of this individual spa and cant. I need the operating instructions and cleaning and maintenance instructions and can't get them with just the model number.

Wiring 14.5 hp briggs and stratton riding mower from 18 hp briggs [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire 14.5 hp briggs and stratton riding mower when changing it from a 18 hp briggs?

Seahorses on the coast? [ 1 Answers ]

What would happen if I put Hippocampus zebra (aka: Zebra seahorses) on the coast? How long would it live?

Briggs engine on MTD riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a problem with a Model 600 series MTD Lawn tractor. I can get it to turn, and it will run a bit with ether sprayed in the carburetor neck. I know this points to a fuel issue, but want to troubleshoot the kill switches. I believe there are three in this model, One on the seat, one on...

View more questions Search