Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2014, 12:30 PM
    Help me solve this riddle
    A man is being held captive in a dungeon. The dungeon has two doors. There ia a guard in front of each door. His captor enters the dungeon and announces to his prisoner that one of the doors being guarded leads to freedom and the other leads to death. He tells the prisoner that he may leave at any time, through either of the doors. Of course, if he chooses the wrong door, he will die. The captor further announces that he may ask only one guard just one question. The prisoner's captor further tells the prisoner that one guard is a perpetual liar and one guard always tells the truth.

What is the one question that the prisoner may ask to one guard, so that he may go free?

Why will that one question work?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 7, 2014, 01:28 PM
    A classic puzzle. The question to ask either guard is:

"If I asked the other guard which way is freedom, what would he say?"

Then go out the other door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solve a riddle? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lock, but not a door. I can be opened, but never twice. What am I?

Solve a riddle for me [ 1 Answers ]

A bat and a ball cost $1.10. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Help me solve this riddle [ 0 Answers ]

1. This is a word of royalty even if they may not be. 2. I am the smell of trees and earth or a man out in the bushes way too long. 3. I STRETCH IN THE MORNING I AM HUGE AND MASSIVE, but by noon I feel like nothing at all. 4. DO NOT CALL ME A FOOL, OR JESTER, but I am called by these: A...

Solve this riddle [ 5 Answers ]

You are on a raft, in the middle of the ocean. You have plenty of food And water, so surviving is no problem. The only thing is you have a Packet of cigarettes, but no matches to light a cigarette. Unfortunately There is no way to make a fire or spark with the supplies on board... You Are...

View more questions Search