Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breekarig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2014, 12:24 AM
    How can I sleep?
    My father suddenly passed away in January of 2011. It is 3 years later and I still suffer from sleep insomnia. Every time I close my eyes all I see is my father dying over and over again in the hospital. So I rarely sleep. I don't know what's wrong with me. Can anyone help. I'm begging
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2014, 05:38 AM
    Sounds like its time for grief counceling. Most people would have moved on long before then, nobody ever forgets it, but you learn to live with it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2014, 05:56 AM
    I agree, 6 months or even a year, but after 3 years, you need to receive counseling.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2014, 08:50 AM
    I agree that you need to see a grief counselor. Meanwhile, buy a notebook or start a Word file. Write down things you remember -- funny things he said or did, vacations your family went on, special things about him, things he liked to do to relax, things that drove him crazy at times. Plant a tree or a pretty bush or even a small garden in his memory. And talk about him!

I feel your pain. My dad died of a massive heart attack in 1994. We never had time for a last goodbye or "I love you." We did the things I suggested to you, and he is always part of my mom's, sibs, and my conversations.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2014, 10:34 AM
    Get grief counselling. Most funeral homes offer this, although I think its too late to take advantage of this.

Our minds and hearts gradually move on, the happiness after is remembering them fondly and lovingly. They stay in our thoughts but not in a sad way.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2014, 12:05 PM
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

I lost both of my parents 6 months apart in 2001. I do understand what you're going through.

In a way I was lucky. Both my parents died of cancer, and were patients in the cancer hospital near me. If you are a relative of a patient in that hospital you are given all the resources they are, grief counseling, etc. So right after my father died (he was first to go) I went to counseling at the hospital he died in. Same with my mom.

It helped a great deal.

I agree with the others. It's long past time to seek out counseling for this.
    Jacalyn Libby Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2014, 04:57 PM
    I agree, you need grief counseling. You also need to realize that everyone grieves differently and some longer than others. Pray for release from your suffering and realize that your Father would be sooo sad to know how you are feeling. He loves you and needs to know that you will be OK. You will be with him someday. I don't know how old you are so I hesitate to suggest this but you can try melatonin, it is the natural chemical that your brain releases to help you sleep. It is a supplement and can be found anywhere a store sells vitamins. I will pray for you. I also lost my Father and Mother...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sleep Paralysis associated with Sleep Seizures? [ 4 Answers ]

I've dealt with sleep paralysis ever since I was a kid. As I got older, the "attacks" became more painful, I would feel actual physical pain and could not move or speak. About a few months ago, I could feel myself having little convulsions as I was having this painful sleep paralysis. I would only...

8month old has less sleep, can some one tell me how to put him to sleep [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my son is 8month and 2 week old; still I tie him when he is sleeping as he kicks the blanket in the night and gets cold…. If I keep the AC less then he sweat and won’t get good sleep. If I keep in un tied then he starts crawling or sits in night and won't sleep for long time can some one tell me...

Need sleep, are on stilnox, clinics can cure the addiction but how do I sleep after [ 4 Answers ]

I have been drinking stilnox for three years to sleep, understand I am sort of addictive to it, been to docters, clinics, sleeping facilities, drank herbal medicine, follwed what's called sleep hygience, drank serotonin enhancers, NOTHING works, it's extremely difficult to get stilnox here and...

Dogs sleep walking and urinating in their sleep? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 14. She has urinated in her sleep three times. But the last one concerned me... she got up frantically and ran around the room, then into the wall. It startled her and she laid down and began urinating. I was looking at her and its like she didn't even realize she was doing it. She then...

View more questions Search