Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxitwist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2014, 05:23 PM
    Geophysics question - How do you compute the depth of a layer of bedrock, and how far
    Hello everyone, Im studying for an exam and as far as I can find we have no examples to work with, just lecture notes.. bits and pieces here and there.
    Here's the question
    "A seismic survey is to be carried out to measure the approximate thickness of overburden, which is thought to be about 4m thick. Deduce the approximate distances from the shot point at which the geophones are to be placed to measure the depth of the overburden given that it has a velocity of 1.4 km/sec and overlies sandstone with a velocity of 2.4km/s and the fact you have 12 geophones to use"
    I think you use this formula
    h= t0V2V1
    over
    2(V2^2-V1^2)^1/2

Which I found in the refraction lecture slides.
    But the answer I get when I compute it is h= t0(9.24km/s)
    Which I don't know if that's what I'm looking for, I don't know how I can get t0 from it in order to compute accurately the hight of the layer.
    And as for the how far apart the geophones should be placed.. the rule is twice as faras you want to see right? So 8-10m?

Check out some similar questions!

Layer Of Skin [ 4 Answers ]

Four days ago my razor slipped and when I caught it I slid it across my ankle. A layer of my skin came off. It bled for a couple of days. Now I can barely walk on it or bend it. Do I just wait for it to heal or do I go to a doctor?

Can I layer my own hair? [ 5 Answers ]

I have dead straight hair. It looks really boring, I wanted to know if it is possible to layer my own hair. Do I have to go to a hair salon to get it layered? If I can do it myself, how do I layer my hair?:confused:

How much per sq to tear off one layer shingles and one layer wood shakes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering if I low balled a job its 12 sq 2 layer one layer shingles the second layer wood shakes ,replace 4 rafters,redeck,and shingle it I charged 1700.00 labor only

Should I layer my hair? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thinking about having my hair layered, because I like it curled, and having layers in it would make it easier to curl and enhance the curls (according to my hairdresser). My hair is long and blonde, and dead straight and currently unstyled. I like my hair the way it is but like it curled too…...

Create vlan - layer 3 and layer 2 [ 6 Answers ]

This is what I have Firewall (ISA) connected to GSM 7312(layer 3 switch) On GSM 7312(layer 3 switch): Port1 – 192.168.50.1 connected to firewall Port 2 – 192.168.60.1 connected to a 5 port Linksys switch Port 3 – 192.168.59.1 connected to a 5 port Linksys switch Port 4 – 192.168.0.1...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.