Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nathonian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Step down transformers
    How many amps, at 400 volts, can I get from a 300 kva [ 480v/ 400v] transformer?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 8, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathonian
    How many amps, at 400 volts, can I get from a 300 kva [ 480v/ 400v] transformer?
    This answer can vary depending on the type of load. Assuming a non-inductive load,(no large motors) then your answer would be 300kva/400volts output=750 amps. This is in an ideal situation. In reality you have a less then perfect energy transfer, the "standard" for industrial applications is usually to caclulate for a 60% efficiency or Power Factor(PF). In this case 300kva*.6PF =180000/400volts yields you approximatley 450 Amps.

Hope This Helps,
    Morrowrj
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 08:12 AM
    The expression Volt Amps of AC power, will include any power factor consideration on the circuit. A transformer rated in KVA will not need to be derated for any inductive or capacitive load.

Assuming this is a 3 phase transformer, due to the size and voltages involved, the amps available on the 400 volt secondary side is calculated:

300,000 VA / 400 volts * 1.73= 1297.5 or 1300 amps

Apr 8, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Hmm, I normally work single phase... However it still seems like your calculation is off? Is it possible that the equation is KVa divided by the quantity of volts times 1.73 ?

300,000VA / (400 V * 1.73)

or

300,000Va / 692 = 433 Amps.

Please see here :Rex Power Magnetics - Home Page

Or here : How To Size Phase Transformers

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Morrowrj
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 01:26 AM
    Sorry I missed this, thought I would get subscribed just by answering.

You are right ,I can't believe I said that. The brackets mean to calc phase to phase voltage of 692, then divide.

Morrow is correct, the amps is 433.
    MRCHAD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Hello There
    MRCHAD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Sorry New, What Would Be The Right Size Transformer.

Power Coming In Would Be Single Phase 480

Output Is 120v , About 4.2a

I Figure About 1kva Would Be Plenty

Jun 3, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Yes, I agree 1kva should be good. Did you check the links I referenced above?

Morrowrj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step by step needed to become and operate as a Talent Agent [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in operating a Talent agency of my own, and would appreciate any information on where to begin the process. I know I need to get licensed and a surety bond in the amount of $50,000 according to the new standards, but I need to know where to go to get the application for...

What are the names of the different cartoons in the transformers series [ 1 Answers ]

Ok the only thing I know is that there are The orignial 98 episodes, that's the old transformers, and then there's beast wars, headmaster, armada, cybertron, but what order are these in and what am I missing?? I am looking to download all of that onto a DVD/CD and watch it on my comp.

How to partition a hard drive step by step? [ 2 Answers ]

Downloaded a program and it formatted my hard drive. Have a 20 gig hard drive after it done this, it now reads 12 gig Can anybody help get the 20 gig back Need steps to clear this up, I don't know anything about hard drives. I'm running Xp Home on HP. Pavilion. Help

Transformers/inverters? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace some transformers to gadgets: a) How do I find out which one to buy? b) Where do I get them cheaply? c) Is a generic (by spec only) as safe as the original? Thanks

Help with transformers PLEASE! [ 1 Answers ]

I have to make a simple transformer, that measures the output voltage from the secondary coil, with relation to the distance between the primary and the secondary coil. So, I don't have to make it a step up or step down transformer, I just have to see how the voltage changes with distance. So do...

View more questions Search