Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyny007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2014, 07:23 AM
    Is a heloc the way to go to pay off 20,000 in credit card debt?
    I have 20,000 in cc debt, no mortgage on house, and am having trouble paying high interest on cc. Is a heloc a better way to consolidate, and do a few home repairs, and of course credits cards will no longer be used ever again!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2014, 09:28 AM
    If you have no mortgage, then yes a HELOC is an excellent way of paying off credit card debt and financing home repairs. Right now rates for HELOCs are very low and the interest is deductible.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2014, 09:39 AM
    After you do this, make sure you cut the cards up, and close the accounts... keep at most only one, and put it someplace safe and don't carry it as most people will fall back into old habits once the immediate pressure is off.

Very few things people buy are things they actually NEED... they are things they just want... You NEED to eat, you only WANT to eat out in restaurants (always more expensive than eating at home). You NEED certain medications, you WANT certain high priced cosmettics. Speaking as someone who went through this in his early 20's, learn to separate NEED from WANT or you will find yourself back in the same situation.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2014, 04:39 PM
    HELOC is great today and as noted interest is tax deductible. Make sure to pay it off ASAP since they are aligned with interest rates, usually prime plus some %. If interest rates go up, your rate will too but probably less than the CC rate. $20,000 will be based on 10 years so your payments would be pretty low, around $200 per month including interest.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 12, 2014, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy
    you WANT certain high priced cosmettics. Speaking as someone who went through this in his early 20's, learn to separate NEED from WANT
    Those high-priced cosmetics must explain why you look like WT Sherman. :)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2014, 11:17 AM
    Dang... and all that money I've wasted all these years trying to look like Brad Pitt I was buying the wrong stuff. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued by Chase Bank for $26,000 credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued by Chase Bank for a debt I owe. It is around $26,000, I had this credit card for 17 years with a great payment history. I called my creditor and cancelled the account and I told them as soon as I find a job I will call them to make arragement they have decided to sue me. I am...

Owe about 30,000 in credit card debt,I am 63 yrs. I have pay plans but cannot pay any [ 1 Answers ]

Have a payment plan but i am not able to pay anymore,husband out of work.what can i do?

I am searching for a $15,000 grant to pay off credit card. [ 1 Answers ]

I am searching for someone or someway to get $15,000. This would pay off a huge credit card debt and save me from losing my home. The monthly payment on the credit card is causing me to fall behind on my mtge. Payments. I am a 75 yr. old retiree and just don't know how I got myself into this...

$50,000 credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a $50,000 credit card with a $900. Monthly payment on it. I am unable to continue to keep this card current. I called the company and the Customer Service Rep told me they would not be able to lower the payment and if I couldn't pay it, the bank would not come after me legally because it is...

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

View more questions Search