Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 09:35 AM
    Ebola
    I have seen all over Facebook about bringing the two US citizens back to US to treat who contracted Ebola. Is it as safe as they are claiming? I have been reading up on it and have seen news sources and posts claiming both sides.
    I do get it for the family of the people who are ill they want the best treatment for their family members, I would too if it was my family.
    What are people's thoughts on this?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 09:50 AM
    The patients will be in isolation, and their families will be able to talk/visit them only through a window. My husband and I wondered about the medical people who will be caring for the patients -- plus housekeping and laundry. I would hope every caution is taken. J_9 might be able to give us good feedback on the possibilities.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 10:22 AM
    Then there's the tinfoil hat crowd who think the two have discovered how to weaponize Ebola and are bringing it back.

ยป What are US biowar researchers doing in the Ebola zone? Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 10:35 AM
    More to come:

ATLANTA: 2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital - Nation Wires - MiamiHerald.com
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 11:30 AM
    But to be honest Cats we really don't know 100% who is telling the truth and who is lying. That is what I struggle with at times as all news is slanted and can only report what they are told. I am sure government (and I believe this ) that governments hide lots from us. They are doing things behind closed doors we don't know about and probably never will.
    Yes there are some people out there that go overboard with conspiracy theories but then others I think that could be possible.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 03:41 PM
    I bet they can treat them a lot better here than where they were. I hope they survive. They went to help, now they need help.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2014, 04:48 PM
    It is very dangerous to bring them back at a time when the borders are being closed to avoid the spread of the disease
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 07:20 PM
    I can only give feedback as to the precautions taken. The patients will be placed in a special isolation unit that, from my reading, was developed 12 years ago and is rarely used. It is down the street from Emory University Hospital. These patients will not come into contact with any other patients or visitors. This unit also has special "air handling."

Nurses and doctors will wear protective gear. Masks, gowns, gloves. There are very strict protocols in place for the staff who will have to enter the rooms and visitors will not be allowed to enter rooms but will be able talk to the patients through a window.

Do I agree with them coming here? I don't know. Would I be willing to be part of their medical team? Heck yeah! It's ground breaking, and to be able to be part of something so big would be a boost to the CV.

Incidentally, I do have a friend who works at Emory. She is in administration, and won't be part of their medical team.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 07:36 PM
    What about soiled laundry, human waste, etc.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 07:46 PM
    Most likely, and I'm not certain as I don't work in environmental services, it will be destroyed/incinerated. But that I am uncertain of.

We have biohazard bags that are red bags placed in red trash containers. What they do with them once they are removed from the room I don't know.

Now, you can't get Ebola like you get the common cold, i.e. touching a shopping cart after an infected person did. It is transmitted via bodily fluids, much like HIV and Hepatitis.

I suspect the reason it is so rampant in Africa is because they don't take the same precautions there that we take here.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 08:04 PM
    In addition...

Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2014, 10:45 PM
    I can only give feedback as to the precautions taken. The patients will be placed in a special isolation unit that, from my reading, was developed 12 years ago and is rarely used. It is down the street from Emory University Hospital. These patients will not come into contact with any other patients or visitors. This unit also has special "air handling."

Nurses and doctors will wear protective gear. Masks, gowns, gloves. There are very strict protocols in place for the staff who will have to enter the rooms and visitors will not be allowed to enter rooms but will be able talk to the patients through a window.

Do I agree with them coming here? I don't know. Would I be willing to be part of their medical team? Heck yeah! It's ground breaking, and to be able to be part of something so big would be a boost to the CV.

Incidentally, I do have a friend who works at Emory. She is in administration, and won't be part of their medical team.
    Good luck with that, but I don't think the risk of having it on your CV is worth it. It you want a broader discussion beyound your local hospital see my thread Alocaplypse now
    Expert

Aug 3, 2014, 02:08 AM
    The experience on the CV would be tremendous in the area of infectious disease. Anyone with that on their CV would be able to pick their employer as well as their salary. I suppose, with my understanding, that Ebola isn't as frightening to me ad it is the average person.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2014, 03:49 AM
    I think it is safe,and their treatment ,whatever the results ,will advance the knowledge of treating the disease. I know of one of our service men who is deployed to the region where the ebola outbreak has occurred. I joked with him and told him do not eat bush meat.
    Our CDC is one of the best in the world (with caveat since they still don't get lyme).
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2014, 04:54 AM
    Your CDC hasn't been up to speed in some areas recently Tom that's why it is a concern as to whether they can handle this properly
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2014, 06:14 AM
    It's news right now, most people don't know about it, it's a mysterious disease from far away, so some news agencies will run with it... ie. CNN's "It could be catastrophic".

Remember necrotizing fasciitis, SARS, avian flu, and mad cow all had their time in the news. Now you don't hear about any of them.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2014, 03:34 PM
    Doulal that is because they are no longer killing people, we weren't hearing about ebola either before this outbreak but anything can make a comeback as staph keeks reminding us
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2014, 05:29 PM
    Do you really think those infected whilst caring for the sick in Africa didn't take all possibe precautions? And yet medical staff were infected. Yes you will have a higher state of hygene possible but the risks are there because people become complacient and careless. Disposal of medical waste should have a very high standard applied to it and yet if it is destroyed offsite there are risks. The fact is a quarantine on travel should have been respected and not brushed aside because of the nationality of the person
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 3, 2014, 05:43 PM
    The fact is a quarantine on travel should have been respected and not brushed aside because of the nationality of the person
    This was mentioned in your thread on this subject, Clete, but when HIV blew up the only change in your quote was "sexual preference" instead of "nationality." How many millions of deaths did the gay mafia cause? We'll never know.

"For the children" seems to be the buzzword in the U.S. right now. It makes you wonder how soon some media whore will be crying that those poor infected children (they'll find some somewhere) NEED close personal contact to make their last few hours bearable. Thus the pandemic spreads to another continent.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2014, 06:33 PM
    People do still die from them. The difference is that people are more aware, precautions are often taken, treatment is rendered (in many cases), and the numbers are fewer. The media, while doing the job of making people aware, also caused more concern than was necessary by causing fear of a pandemic situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search