Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hobbitguy_ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2014, 05:34 PM
    Im nervous about telling my parents I need glasses
    So, about 5 years ago I became fastinated with computers. First playing online games such as wizard 101 when I was around 7 and that continued for about 2 years. After that, I began playing minecraft a whole lot. Sometimes spending up to 10+ hours a day on my computer. My parents would always tell me "dont use up your eyes and take a break", things of that sort. Until now though I have never really realized the effects hehe. I need glasses very badly and I want them in preparation for the school year. Its only 17 days away and as a result of some research I've heard that some lenses take up to 10 days to get aprooved!! I don't know how to tell my parents I need glasses, I think about it literally whenever I look at the TV or my calender and cant see things. Every time something about the school year starting is mentioned. Please help :(
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2014, 05:57 PM
    When was your last eye exam? Are you due for one? Have you ever had one?

If you haven't had one before, or haven't had one for a couple of years, you are due for one. I'd just let them know that you'd like to have an eye exam as things are not as clear when you read or watch television. Remind them that with school starting soon, you'd like to try and get it taken care of before school starts so that you won't have any difficulty with seeing your work.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Your teachers will tell them if you don't (big-time embarrassing!), so beat the teachers to the punch. The teachers will notice you squinting, that you can't see the whiteboard, and that you can't see/understand any films or projected material.

I usually get my new lenses/glasses in a week or less. Glasses will make you look very intelligent :), and there are so many frame styles to choose from nowadays. Go for it!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 07:07 PM
    This is an easy issue. It's not like you're asking them to buy you a car.

Having regular eye checks is a necessity, and as your parents they're responsible for making sure your health, and eyes are included with health, is cared for. Just tell them you're having issues with your eyes and think you need to have them checked before school. If they're good parents they'll do what's right and have your eyes checked as soon as possible.

Not really a hard issue at all. I'm wondering why you're so nervous about it.
    hobbitguy_ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2014, 07:15 PM
    Thank you everyone
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 07:39 PM
    If you don't take care of it before school, visit the school nurse as soon as it begins. She should be able to give you an eye test. If she notices any vision problems, she'll call your parents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not telling my parents [ 7 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and weigh 102 pounds and I am pregnant what are the effects for me I'm not telling my parents I went to the clinic and got my own vitamins.

Telling my parents [ 6 Answers ]

Well in my previous questions me and my friend were confused with each other and we have been talking a lot and decided that we were going to start. Dating. So I was wondering how I would tell my parents if I told them at all thanks

Engaged, but only his family knows. Nervous about telling mine. [ 15 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been engaged for a couple months now, and we just told his family on the weekend. I wasn't entirely sure what their reaction would be, but so far it seems very positive and supportive. I am a little nervous about telling my family, though. My mother and I are close, but she...

Telling the parents. [ 35 Answers ]

I'm seventeen, turning 18 in October, and I am engaged. (Fiance is 21 years old. BTW, they have NEVER met him before!) My fiancé and I are getting married October 30th, that is FIVE days after my birthday. Welp, I want to tell my parents. I have already told my Grandparents and they're happy, but...

View more questions Search