Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2014, 09:08 PM
    Would a kitten found in the trash have parasites when its older?
    I want to adopt this free kitten who was found in the trash when she was just a few days old. She has been cared for and fed from a bottle for 6 weeks. Since we have an infant and toddler in the house, my mom is worried that they might get parasites from the kitten. Would the kitten naturally rid of the parasites by now? Thanks!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 31, 2014, 09:15 PM
    Has the kitten been checked over by a vet? The kitten should have an exam and vaccinations.
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2014, 05:04 PM
    Would that be expensive? We just moved so we are still working on getting some money... would you know the expected cost of a checkup and vaccinations for her?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 05:20 PM
    It depends on where you live, the vet you choose to go to, and what needs to be done. The kitten will need to be de-wormed at the right age, checked for fleas, checked for other issues, and given her first set of vaccinations. The first year will require many vet visits for vaccines, spay or neuter, medication if there are issues.

In other words, there's no such thing as a free kitten. It will cost you. I'd wait until you have the money for any expense that may come up when caring for this kitten. If you can't afford even a basic checkup, you can't afford a pet.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 05:24 PM
    Call one or two vets in the area to find out the cost. We rescue cats and take them to a vet who gives a discount for treating strays/ferals. Also, animal shelters often give out special health-care certificates for vets who are very reasonable, so check into that.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2014, 06:36 AM
    If you are unsure if you can afford the cost of an initial vet visit, you should reconsider getting a kitten. Nothing is free. Kittens require several sets of vaccines over a few months. They also require fecal testing to determine what (if any) parasites they have, as well as dewormer to take care of them. What if your kitten develops an upper respiratory infection and requires antibiotics from the vet.
    Please wait until you have more money, and more sense of what caring for a kitten entails, before you take one into your home.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 2, 2014, 07:50 AM
    I don't know how the OP will finance vet visits for a shelter Doberman and a kitten to boot if there are no finances in the family at the moment. Both animals will need extensive vet care for a check up and vaccinations.

If you read OPs other threads you will find she collects various insects, snails and moths. Snails are a harbouring ground for many diseases and there is a new baby in the house apparently.

NatureGirl you are not making wise choices at the moment, unless you are just daydreaming about what you would like to have as pets. If you do have snails, and moth pupae you have odered from Ebay, suggest you set them free to get them out of the house and of course a kitten will have any number of parasites, especially if he/she was taken from a garage bin and of all places, directly home. If you did rescue a small kitten I commend you, but then there are certain things you have to consider, dropping him off at a shelter would have been a wise choice, where he could have been cared for properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Older Kitten hates my new Young Kitten. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Im hoping someone can help me. I have a 5month old kitten at home who is usually very affectionate and loving (also spayed) Yesterday I rescued a 9 week old kitten so my eldest would have some company when I'm out at work. I knew they wouldn't get on great at first but my...

Panasonic TV 32 inch found in trash [ 3 Answers ]

Found a 32 in. TV model #CT-32D31E and I turn it on. It is making a humming sound and has no picture and will not turn off is it worth it to try to fix it.

I found stamina-rx in the trash [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 55, and my husband is 54, I found a bottle of Stamina-Rx in the trash, Now I'm VERY sexuality active, But I'm wondering about him, Why would he be taking stamina? Is it cause I don't turn him on any more?

Old cabinet found in trash [ 1 Answers ]

I found this in the trash and I don't know how old it is or anything about it. It's very sturdy... one of the doors is broken though... anyway, I found out yesterday that it has powder post beetles so I am having it fumigated. I just wondered how I would go about painting it but still retaining the...

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

View more questions Search